Transition: All Our Tomorrows

Champion Tremaine did now know they were thinking of him, the male on the rooftop of a hospital in France, the cold air subtly blowing

A woman sat beside him, balanced carefully with a red tag on her wrist.

"Tell me about them," she urged, and Champion turned to her, his golden-brown hair falling over his eyes. The bracelets wrapped around his wrists jingled. "What is their story like?"

"It's a love story," Champion replied, smiling at her. He shifted, a hand going to fiddle with the zipper of his loose rocker pants. "It started off as a story of dreams and then they fell in love."

"Maybe you're wrong. Maybe it never started as a story of dreams and love has always been around," she said, her hopeful eyes twinkling. "What a life..."

"What a life," Champion agreed, unable to keep his eyes off her face.

Despite her sunken cheeks and the paling of her lips, she was beautiful. "What a life, indeed."

"And ours?" she asked suddenly, turning to him as her hospital gown billowed. Her legs shifted under her.

"Ours?"

"Our story. You're here when you should be there," she smiled. "What's our story about?"

"Sacrifice," Champion found himself saying. "Loss. Escape."

"Escape," she whispered. "A great one."

She breathed in a deep sigh. "You forgot one thing."

Champion did not have to hear it to know, the female reaching up towards nothing.

"Pain," she said. "You forgot about pain."

Champion could not agree more.

"Pain," he repeated, turning to see that she had disappeared.

Pain.

His story was all about pain.