was all that I needed

"Did you talk to Oscar?" Donatello's voice echoed from the speaker of my phone while I bustled around my private office, figuring out which case to take on next. "His parents are requesting a dinner. They keep calling me now that they've figured out that he's back in Korea."

"It's because you have taken my spot, Don," I said back, slightly amused. "I'm surprised he hasn't gone to meet his parents yet."

"You know him," Don replied. "You know that he doesn't like even breathing the same air as them."

"Mm, well. I understand that at least. Why don't you text him? Maybe he isn't awake yet. It's still early."

"Alright. I'll shoot him a call."

Hanging up the phone, I continued to do my job when my phone vibrated.

Oscar: I'm awake.

Chuckling, I shook my head. Oscar had a knack of telling me what he was doing for no reason at all.

Oscar: I'm going to eat breakfast
Oscar: I'm going to eat bacon and eggs

I texted back and asked if it was enough for breakfast.

Oscar: I think so
Oscar: Dana's off to meet her husband. Johnny just arrived in Korea.
Oscar: I think I'm bored.

How does one 'think they're bored'? Don't they just know that their bored?

The more time I spent with Oscar, the more I was sure that Dana and Oscar had a shared unhinged synergy. The other day Oscar had bounded into my study and asked me to pop bubblegum while he recorded it.

He sent it to Dana who sent a voice message saying: Beautiful! A very feminine pop. Thanks!!!

"What was that about?" I had asked Oscar who told me that Dana wanted the sound of a female popping bubblegum and I was the only female he was around, so he had to ask for my help.

Oscar: let's go for dinner
NY: Nope. Don called me about your parents.
Oscar: my parents....
NY: Absolutely no.

Oscar knew that my ties with his parents ended badly. They hated (even blamed) that I couldn't bring him back home to Korea. They thought that I didn't try my best and spoiled him too much.

Oscar: Don will be there.

I told him to go with Donatello but he replied with:

Oscar: but I want you

I decided to reply later, but his last text message made my heart skip a beat – which was a sign that there was a possibility I'd go to dinner with him. Texts from Oscar came through the day and at one point in time, I saw that his mood had changed drastically.

NY: Are you okay?
Oscar: Yeah.

I knew it was his parents that put him in a bad mood, so I texted back: I'll give you alone time.