not fair - chris

based off the prompt "you say you love me and then you say we can't be together. that is not fair!" by creativepromptsforwriting on tumblr

Y/n's POV

Chris, Matt, Nick and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. We grew up together, went to school together, and when the boys moved to LA they asked me to come with them. During our teen years, Chris and I had both developed a crush on each other. He's the reason why I never had a boyfriend in highschool, why I hadn't had many of my firsts like other girls my age. I was waiting for him. But a girl can only wait so long before she starts to get frustrated.

It was the little things that left me hoping. The small moments we would share alone, the kisses on cheeks, the I love you's that seemed like it meant a little more than "just friends". But that was then, and this is now. It wasn't like he was talking to other girls, because he wasn't. He had made it clear that he was interested in me, so why the hell wasn't he doing anything about it?

Every time I tried to bring this up to him, he came up with some dumb excuse as to why he couldn't talk to me. He was busy, or he had a phone call to make, or he didn't feel good and needed to go home. It was always something. I let it go for a long time, but it started to get to me after a while. I wanted a boyfriend, I wanted companionship, and I wanted it to be him. I began to think that maybe it was me, maybe there was something wrong with me and I wasn't good enough. I got halfway down that rabbit hole before I finally decided that Chris and I needed to have a talk, whether he wanted to or not. I waited until Matt and Nick went to a meeting together, and it was just Chris and I sitting in the living room.

"Chris, we really need to talk. And before you come up with some dumb excuse for why you can't, just listen to me, please." I say, turning to him.

He seemed shocked at the sudden outburst, but instead of leaving he stayed quiet and nodded at me to continue. I inhaled deeply, thinking of what I wanted to say first.

"I can't keep going back and forth with you, Chris. You need to make up your mind, and decide what you really want."

His face twisted in confusion. "Y/n, I'm not sure what you mean."

"I think you know exactly what I mean." I said, beginning to get frustrated. "Do you know I've waited years for you? Do you know I have passed up plenty of offers to take me on dates because I was waiting for you to man up and ask me? Did you ever really mean it when you told me you loved me all those times?"

His eyes were wide as he tried to process everything that came out of my mouth.

"I- okay, that was a lot. Are you trying to tell me you think I'm leading you on or something?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying, Chris!"

"Seriously? Y/n, you know I love you."

I cut him off. "Then why haven't you done anything about it?"

He takes a deep breath, lowering his head. "Y/n, you know we can't do this. You're my best friend, think of what could happen! I'm sorry, but we can't."

I feel tears welling up as his words pierce through my chest. I tried to tell myself he doesn't know what he is saying, but I couldn't even believe myself.

"Really Chris? You say you love me and then you say we can't be together. That is not fair! Which one is it, really?" I cried, bracing myself for his answer.

He looked up to meet my eyes. "I'm sorry." He says, simply.

I stand up from the couch, hot tears making their way down my cheeks.