Part 5. A Problem Shared, Is A Problem Halfed.

The next morning came around quickly, I have been up since before the sun started to rise roughly around six-thirty. I got dressed in a old dress, that I wasn't bothered about it getting ruined, when I start cleaning. I brushed my copper red locks and put it in its usual bun style. I then brushed my teeth and washed my face and headed down stairs, to start on the cleaning. I grabbed the cleaning supplies underneath the kitchen sink and put it down onto the coffee table, after that I walked over to the front window and opened the curtains to let the sun light start to come through.

I paused and looked out of the window for a moment, the clouds were grey and dull a typical winter day in England you may say. I stood and stared at the corner of the street where he was stood last night, then it all came back to me and how he had asked me to go to the races with him.

I quickly turned away from the window and hastingly picked up the duster and began dusting around the place, carefully lifting some of the ornaments from off the mantelpiece and dusting underneath them, as well as the ornaments themselves. Once the dusting was done, I moved onto plumping the cushions on the sofa, job done. I then walked back into the kitchen and started to fill a bowl of hot soapy water up from the sink, I then grabbed a clean cloth and put it in the bowl. I put that onto the coffee table also, whilst I went and picked up the sweeping brush and started to sweep the floor, pulling back the clippy mat, so I could sweep underneath it. I was in that much of a cleaning frenzy, that I didn't hear anyone come down the stairs.

"Penny for ya thoughts?". A voice said. "Oh god!". I shouted out in shock, as I whipped round with the broom in my hand, ready to attack the person the voice belonged too, incase they were an intruder. I looked over to the direction of the voice and there stood on the stairs was father. "Oh sorry flower, didn't mean to scare ya". He said, as he continued to make his way down the stairs, before joining me in the sitting room. "That's alreet you just scared the shit out of me that's all". I said, as I placed my hand up to my chest to help steady my breathing.

Dad just chuckled, as he went to sit down on the sette. "Oi, I've just plumped those!". I stated, as I chuckled afterwards. "Sorry". Dad replied. "What did you mean penny for your thoughts?". I asked him, as I stopped sweeping and propped my hands up upon the broom. "Oh, just when there was anything on your mother's mind, she would clean the house so spotless, that even the King would want to stay". Dad added. I said nothing. "Like the day she was due to get married to me, apprently your grandma said that, she was none stop cleaning the "ouse the neet before, that her hands had blisters the size of penny pieces on them, she had to soak them in vinegar to help bring them down". Father chuckled again.

"Well actually dad, there is something, I've been meaning to share with someone for a while". I said, as I set the broom down and sat next to him. "Your not pregnant are ya?!". Dad exclaimed. "No!". I snapped. "Sorry sweetheart, didn't mean nowt about it". He replied, as he brought me in to cuddle me at his side. "It's okay dad". I said, as I nuzzled in to the hug. "Now, tell me what's the matter?". He added. "Well, it's about this boy...". I started, but was interrupted by father. "What boy?". He said shocked. "Do I nar 'im?". He then added. "No, well at least I hope you dint". I replied. "Reet well, what about 'im and what does he want with me little girl?". He asked. I swallowed and took a deep breath before continuing. "Well this boy, has asked me to go to the races with him". I said. "Reet and have you said aye?". Dad asked.

"Well to be truthful, I never really got to give him an answer, as he just just asked me and then road off on his horse, at first I thought he couldn't be talking to me, but he was". I said. "Cheltenham races is it?". He asked. I just nodded my head. "That's the only one that I know off, that is on at this time of year". I replied. "Reet, well what's this lads name?". Dad asked. "T-t-thomas S-s-shelby". I stuttered, as I was frightened that, if I said the name, dad would know who it was. "Hmm, never 'eard of 'im". Dad stated. "But as long as ya careful and ya watch what ya deeing and ya bring 'im 'ere first, so I can meet 'im before use gan, I'm more than happy for ya to gan with 'im". Dad said, I just wish I felt the exact same, as my mind was still second guessing myself. "When ya ganning?". Dad asked me, as he finally let go of the hug and I could finally sit up and talk to him face to face.