Part 7. Killing Someone.

Another day, another shift. I was up bright and early this morning, as my shift was an early one. I started work as normal, pushing what had happened the night before, between myself and Tommy to the back of my mind, I pre-occupied myself by cleaning glasses, wiping down tables, serving the odd punter that came in, before it got busy. I was slowly forgetting what happened. That was until I heard two knocks from the hatch to the snug and he peered through it, causing me to jump slightly. I didn't even see him, come through the front door. He stood there staring at me for a moment.

"Get me a bottle of whiskey and errr three glasses please". He asked. "Scotch or Irish?". I asked quite sheepish like, as I turned my attention to the bottles, not wanting to look at him. "I've decided not to go, to the races, unless you give me another two pounds and ten shillings!". I told him, as I handed him the bottle and three glasses, he requested, I did a lot of thinking, early this morning and from the way, I think my life is to be in danger at this event, the least he could do is offer me more danger money. Tommy then smiled at my remark. "I've already given you three". He said. "How much do ya pay for the suit you'll be wearing?". I asked him avoiding the subject. "Oh I don't pay for suits, my suits are on the house or the house burns down". Tommy replied. "So you want me to go, looking like a flower girl?". I asked him rhetorically. "What I want makes no difference". Tommy said. "It's not me your dressing up for". He then added.

I just smirked at him. "How's the ribs?". I asked, as I smirked giving him a cheeky wink. He said nothing, other than smile at my comment and close the hatch doors. Just then, two men joined him in the snug, as I went on to serve more punters. A few moments later, one of the men that joined Tommy, in the snug started singing, although he started singing rather in an angry tone of voice, through gritted teeth almost.

"Oh Father Why Are You so Sad?
On This Bright Easter Morning",

"Maguire, will you shut up!". The other man warned him, but the man kept on singing anyway, ignoring his friends warning.

"When Irishmen Are Proud And Glad,
Of The Land Where They Were Born",

"Maguire away and shite, were trying to talk business here". The man's friend warned again. The man began to continue singing, only this time, he was now banging his fist on the table rather loud and rather aggressive and it got louder and louder with every sentence of the song.

"Oh Son, I See Sad Memories View,
Of Far-Off Distant Days,
When Being Just A Boy Like You,
I Joined The IRA".

"Bravo". Was all Tommy said, once the man had finished. I just stood there listening in shock, until the men suddenly, emerged from the snug and made their way out of the pub. That was, until the man started singing again.

"Where Are The Lads Who Stood With Me",

"Alright boys, when I know, who knows what, about what, I'll let you know!". Tommy shouted to them both, over the noise of the man singing, as they left the pub.

"I Long To See The Boys Of The Old IRA",

The man continued, as his friend finally got him out of the building completely.

Tommy, then walked to the bar, holding up the half bottle of whiskey in his hand, whilst shaking his head, before slamming the bottle down upon the bar. "I thought you only allowed singing on a Saturday?". I asked him sarcastically. "Whiskey is good proofing water". He said, as he kept glancing towards his lit cigarette. "Tell's you who's real and who isn't". He continued. "And what did those two men want?". I asked. "Oh, their nobodies, they drink in the Black Swann in Sparkbrook, they're only rebels because they like the songs". He said.

"Thought you didn't like the Irish, so you have sympathies with them now do ya?". I asked. "I have no sympathies of any description". He replied. "Except when it comes to leaving a scared young woman a note on her door step apologising". I smirked, making him smirk back. "You got it then?". He asked rhetorically. I nodded my head slowly. "Well then, I meant every word of it". He said, as he lit yet another cigarette in his mouth, whilst lifting his head and staring directly into my eyes, making me do the same to his, I then looked away. "Their accents were so thick, it's amazing that you could understand 'em". I said, changing the subject about the letter. "I could give it a go next time if you like, for we had a load of thick Irish accent men, come into the Peacock every once in a while, as they used to come to England, looking for work and they would find some, on the shipyards in Sunderland". I added.