Part 8. The Races.

I took a while to emerge from the duvet, the anticipation and anxiety flowing throughout my body, made my head spin.

"Today's the day". I whispered to myself, as I stared up at the ceiling. I then, with all my courage and strength, pulled myself out of bed and made my way downstairs to put the kettle on the stove, to warm it up for some boiling water, for me to wash my face. I also went outside and grabbed the tin bath, so I could have a full body wash and wash my hair. The boys were already out and at work, so I had the whole house to myself, as due to me going to the races with Tommy, I was allowed the day off.

The kettle began to whistle, alerting me that it was ready, so I took it off the stove with a tea towel wrapped around it, to protect my hand from being burnt and went up stairs and I poured it into the wash basin, that I had tooked away in the corner of my room. I then went back downstairs, kettle in hand and began the process all over again for a few times, to allow the bath to fill up. Whilst I was waiting for it, I managed to go upstairs and grab a fresh set of pyjamas, my dressing gown and my toothbrush from out of the cupboard. After a nearly an hour, the bath was filled enough for me to have a decent wash, so I stepped into it and did what I had to do, starting off by washing my hair, using the carbolic soap and then after that I had washed my full body.

A little while later, I had, had enough and finally got out of the bath and wrapped my dressing gown around me and went upstairs to get ready. For I couldn't empty the bath on my own, as it would take nearly all three of us in the house, to lift it outside to empty it. I walked over to my vanity and sat down upon it, with the bowl of steaming hot water on top of it. I sat there, taking a long hard look at my appearance in the mirror. My milky white pastie skin, my dark purple under eyes, that make me look as though, I am always getting into fights with people. My mangled and tatty, auburn locks that weren't very attractive to no man of this day and age, for all men fancy blondes, or brunettes. Why anyone would fancy me, I do not know, I thought to myself.

I sighed heavily, tutting aloud, as I picked up the flannel and dipped it into the hot water. Luckily for me, the steam from the water made the glass on the mirror fog up, so I could hardly see myself any longer, than I wanted too. I began to then, scrub the soap into the flannel, making it become all soapy, before applying it too my face and washing it. I then, splashed the water up on my face and got rid of all the soap, that was upon it. I then, patted my face dry, with the towel I had already placed onto my bed. After I dried my face, I picked up my tooth brush and rubbed it into the soap too and began to clean my teeth with it.

After my teeth were all shiny and clean. I then,  decided to place my under garments on, whilst I let my hair dry a little bit longer under the towel, that was on top of my head. I picked out a matching set, that was a lovely silky cream colour, that blended in with my skin tone perfectly, but it wasn't too riskey, it was just plain and subtle. Once I was decent and my body was covered, I moved on to doing my makeup. I picked my my powder puff and dipped it into the powder and started to dab it onto my face. Afterwards, moved onto mascara, blush and lipstick. For I never have been, the type of girl to wear too much makeup, light and delicate is my way to go.

I gently glided the lipstick, across my lips with my finger. Making sure it covered all of my lip surface, before I pressed them together, making a popping noise, as I parted them. Moving onto my hair, I took it out of the towel and put the towel down onto the bed. It was nearly dry by now, so I picked up my box of rags that I had, from shredded up old pillow cases and other artifacts, around the house and I started to twist them in my hair, to curl it. Once every last strand of my hair, was twisted around the rag tightly I then, stood up away from the vanity and retrieved the rest of my undergarments, starting with the garter and stockings. I placed the stockings, one by one, on each foot and guided them up both of my legs, just above each knee, being careful not to snag them and put a hole in them.