𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

HADLEY AWOKE TO THE SOUND OF BEEPING

HADLEY AWOKE TO THE SOUND OF BEEPING. She stirred and took a deep breath as she opened her eyes to see that she was in an unfamiliar room that was very plain and white. After a moment, she realized that she was in a hospital, and the beeping was coming from a machine to her left, matching her heartbeat.

There was movement next to her, and she turned to see the familiar face of Kyle appear by her side. He slid his chair over to her bed so that she could hear him clearly since she had just woken up. She shot up to a sitting position but groaned and brought her hand t her head when a pain shot though her head. "Where's Heather? Where's Nat?"

"Hey, they made it out. Nat's fine, but Heather's in the room next door," he assured her as she asked with a panicked voice. When he saw that she was freaking out at the knowledge that the Nill girl was injrued. She did not remember much from the fire, but she had a distinct memory of trying to get the girls out of the house and failing. "She just woke up."

"Oh, thank God," she breathed out, holding her chest with ehr hand in relief.

He looked back at the door as if to check that no one was listening or on their way in before leaning forward and muttering to her. "Hey, the cops are here, and everyone is saying that it was a party. So, when they come to question you, just tell them that you were there and that you don't know who invited you."

"Um, okay," she responded, confused. A moment later, Natalie's dad, a deputy came into the room and asked her questions, just like the Rodriguez boy had said. She answered all of them just like she would have if she had been at a party, and she was discharged later that afternoon.

The next day was the day of the demolition derby. It was a race where a bunch of guys got into junker cars and drove around in circles, bumping into each other at points until there was one car left. Ray and Dodge were joing that year, which should make for an interesting event.

Kyle was a little worried about Hadley getting out so soon, but she insisted. She was in a great mood until she climbed out of the car and saw Ray walking over to the track with a girl on each of his arms. She froze for a moment. She knew that they were not exclusive or anything, but it still kind of hurt to see him with other girls. She jsut shook it off and headed to find some seats.