𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

WHEN HADLEY CAME BACK THE NEXT MORNING AFTER JOUST, she was surprised to see that her dad was up and watching TV

WHEN HADLEY CAME BACK THE NEXT MORNING AFTER JOUST, she was surprised to see that her dad was up and watching TV. Usually, he was asleep until about ten, but he was moving that morning. She smiled at him, trying to act casual about the fact that she was coming home in the morning. "Good morning, Dad."

"Hey, sweetheart," he greeted pleasantly as she walked across the living room to and toward the door to her room, relieved that he did not say anything about her arrival time. Before she made it to her room, however, he called after her. "Um, hey, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Uh, yeah sure. What's up?" she asked, walking back toward him as he climbed off the couch to approach her. She was praying that it was not to yell at her for coming home at seven in the morning. She has talked to Ray at Joust for a little bit and then drove through somewhere with him and Tyler and their friends to get some food.

"I have something for you," he informed her, and he grabbed an envelope from the coffee table and handed it to her. She was confused, not expecting that. "Here."

She examined the envelope before starting to open it. She questioned, "What is this?"

"Um, just a little something. I figured you could use it for travel or college or something," he explained, confusing her more until she completely opened it and saw the slip of paper that was inside. She pulled it out of its package and ran her fingers over it.

She looked up at him in complete in utter shock, not believing her eyes. She was sure that it was some sort of sick prank that he was pulling on her. If it was, she might have killed him, but he was not laughing. He seemed completely serious about it. "Dad, this is a check for $50,000."

"Yes," he confirmed with a nod, not totally sure what else he was supposed to say to that. He could tell that she was about to ask where the hell he got all of that money and if he was a drug dealer or something, so he answered, "I've been saving since I was around your age."

"Oh, my God. Thank you," she exclaimed, throwing her arms around him. She had lost Panic, but she still ended up with the money. She laughed out loud as he hugged her back.