chapter 27: Spending habit

After coming out of the book store, Lin Ze could not help but sigh that the word “influence” was truly indispensable everywhere.

In the past, when the original body was young and achieved success in the imperial examination, the scene was so glorious. All the fellow students around him were full of smiles and flattery. Even the private tutors treated him with respect and had high hopes for his future.

However, who would have thought that later on, the original body fell out of favor in the examinations, and rumors spread about a strange illness called “fainting during exams.” His future became hopeless, and those around him immediately turned their backs on him.

This even included the private tutor whom the original body respected. If the original body’s future was still promising, perhaps the incident of trespassing into the backyard while drunk would have had a different outcome. That “highly moral and respected” teacher would probably have been eager to help him achieve greatness.

Unfortunately, it was a pity that the original body had no future ahead of him. Even if he knew there were misunderstandings, people just could not be bothered to care.

Lin Ze did not take the mockery and ridicule from earlier to heart. He had encountered such people many times before. In society, everyone judged others based on appearances and went with the wind. If he got angry every time, he would truly be driven to madness.

But for Zhang Xiu, the incident from earlier made him quite unhappy.

He cared about the present Lin Ze. How could he feel good when he saw the person he liked being mocked and ridiculed? Moreover, those people even used his identity as a Xiao Ger to mock Lin Ze, making him feel even worse.

The status of a Xiao Ger was not as high as that of a young lady. Here, anyone with money and status would not marry a Xiao Ger as the main wife unless his family background was exceptional.

Even in the village, they would try to marry a girl if possible, and only families in dire circumstances would marry a Xiao Ger.

Now that Lin Ze was considered to be down and out, Zhang Xiu could be considered worthy of being with him. However, if Lin Ze were to overcome his difficulties in the future, a talented scholar like him marrying a Xiao Ger as the main wife would undoubtedly become a subject of ridicule.

Zhang Xiu was sensitive and introspective. Today’s incident in the store sounded an alarm for him. During this period, he had been charmed by Lin Ze’s tenderness and kindness to the point of forgetting his own identity.

After leaving the shop, Zhang Xiu’s mood was quite low, and how could Lin Ze not notice?

Lin Ze’s wife, though good in every way, tended to overthink and lacked trust in him. This was not acceptable to him; it seemed that he had not provided enough sense of security for her.

He did not want to just offer comforting words; as actions spoke louder than words.

When his wife was feeling down, what better way to cheer him up than going shopping?

He would buy whatever he wanted, no matter the cost. As his husband, he could afford to be generous. Money could be earned again if it ran out, as long as his wife was happy.

Coincidentally, Lin Ze himself had never strolled through the ancient streets before, and he was quite excited about it. Though Qingshan County was not particularly wealthy, its good geographical location led to abundant harvests year after year, and the people lived comfortable lives without disasters.

Talking about the current small town, it might not be considered prosperous, but the streets were filled with various shops and vendors, making it quite lively.