chapter 66: Officially Naming Ceremony Banquet

Lin Sangui’s illness was caused by a rush of qi (inner energy, anger) attacking his heart, leading to an imbalance in his blood and qi. Calming his mind, taking medicine for a couple of days, and resting in bed should make him feel better.

However, Lin Ze was not very reassured. Recently, he had to run to the Lin family’s place every day, partly to visit Father Lin, and partly to keep an eye on the situation of Lin Jianwen and his mother.

The college entrance examination was approaching, and Lin Jianwen’s intention to buy test questions was not forgotten by him. At a critical moment, he must pay attention.

Lin Jianwen might have also sensed his intentions. He felt very depressed, feeling that he and Lin Ze were incompatible. Seeing Lin Ze wandering in front of him every day, he even lost the mood to study.

As for the resurfacing thoughts about Zhang Yinzhu, it was better not to mention it. This woman was not one to stay put. If she did not abide by the rules before getting married, could she be obedient and virtuous after marriage? That was definitely impossible.

Now all of this was done by themselves. As for the outcome of Zhang Yinzhu and Lin Jianwen, Lin Ze could only say that he was happy to watch the show.

As for whether Lin Jianwen had finally learned his lesson after being taught so many times, Lin Ze temporarily did not see any movement from him, so he studied at home honestly.

Lin Xiaolian had quietly told him that Chen Shuju was acting very mysteriously recently, but after observing for a while, he did not find anything reasonable. Lin Ze could only ask Lin Xiaolian to keep an eye out.

If Chen Shuju and her son behaved properly, it was easy to handle. If they did not, then they should not blame him for finding evidence and getting rid of them. He had been patient for too long because of Lin’s father, but his patience had run out, and he was just waiting for an opportunity.

When the time for the examination arrived, Lin Jianwen finally gathered enough guarantees with several scholars of similar reputation, packed his bags, and went to the county city to participate in the provincial examination.

Lin Ze refocused his attention, clapped his hands, and finally could arrange his “name rectification banquet.”

*it’s a banquet celebrating Lin Ze’s cleared name, as he was judged innocent. Also, it’s a naming ceremony, where a courtesy name is given to the person.

Both he and Zhang Xiu had been looking forward to this for a long time.

On the surface, this was a banquet, but for them, it was a belated wedding banquet. It was their declaration to the heavens, a request to change the names on the marriage book* for Lin Ze and Zhang Xiu, not just “Lin Ze,” begging the matchmaker to make some adjustments.

*book of fate, where gods and deities would write the fated couple’s names.

On the eve of the banquet, Lin’s father recovered from his illness and sent the grain from the autumn harvest, which had been agreed upon before the separation, to Lin Ze.

This conveniently benefited Lin Ze, as he did not have to make as many trips to town, and the family could now enjoy fresh rice at home again. Of course, he could not let Father Lin know about this idea; otherwise, he would be scolded. Did he think the rice grown by the family was for their own consumption? That would be wasteful for someone trying to make money!

There were many more guests at the banquet than Lin Ze had expected.

In addition to the villagers from Heba Village and the village heads from several nearby villages whom he had invited, there were also two uninvited guests, Li Guangcai and Guo Yuanwai. Many unfamiliar merchants and businessmen also came along, all with their families.