chapter 67: Advertisement for a Private School

Lin Ze’s plan to open a private school was well known among the villagers.

Especially those from the village, who had been eagerly anticipating it ever since Lin Ze requested their help as witnesses during his last complaint to the yamen (government). He had promised that in the future, he would open a private school where the village children could study for free each month.

Everyone knew how difficult it was for poor families to educate their children, so this was a great opportunity that everyone wanted to seize.

Because of this, the villagers were very cooperative. After watching the excitement at the yamen and returning home, they took the initiative to speak well of Lin Ze everywhere. News of Lin Ze’s plan spread throughout Nanyang Town and the surrounding areas within a short span of two to three days. Apart from the beggars and vagrants he had hired, the villagers also put in a lot of effort.

Therefore, today Lin Ze kept his promise. According to the agreement, his private school would open for a few days each month to provide free classes to the children of several villagers who had helped him last time.

“Lin Ze has limited abilities, and this is all he can do. I hope everyone won’t look down on it. As long as the children study diligently and attend the free classes for four days each month, they will be able to learn the basics of reading when they grow up…”

In fact, Lin Ze had always planned to offer free public classes, and he was simply taking advantage of the villagers’ kindness to further his own plans.

After all, reputation was crucial for scholars. If his private school only admitted the children of merchants, it would surely draw criticism. Therefore, he had to find a way to change the image of his school, and offering free classes was the best way to do so.

The villagers were clearly very satisfied with this arrangement.

Being able to educate their children without spending money was like getting a free lunch from heaven. Anyone who still had complaints really did not know how to appreciate kindness.

Lin Ze was delighted to see his plan taking shape, his smile becoming even more warm and friendly as he continued to lay the groundwork for his next steps.

“However, I, Lin Ze, also come from a humble background and achieved success through hard work. I know that the children in our village are not dull-witted; they are simply limited by their circumstances. My father supported we brothers’ education for many years, and the villagers have always taken care of us. Therefore, I also want to do my small part for the village…”

“Due to the teaching methods of my private school, I cannot accept too many students. Therefore, I will only accept 12 students for now, aged no older than 12, regardless of their background. There are also 3 special admission spots.”

“These special admission spots are specifically for the poor children of the village. There will be an entrance exam for admission to the private school. As long as the children from the village can pass the exam, their tuition fees will be waived. Additionally, the private school will provide financial assistance for their further studies, giving the impoverished children of the village a chance to change their lives.”

After Lin Ze finished speaking, there was a full minute of silence.

After a long while, the village chief, Li Laofu, with red eyes and a slightly trembling voice, said, “Lin… Lin Ze, are you saying all this for real?”

As Lin Ze said, in impoverished villages like Heba Village, where no notable figures have emerged for a hundred or even a hundred and eighty years, it was not because of bad feng shui or lack of effort. It was because of their circumstances, where they are so poor that they barely hover above the line of having enough to eat, let alone have the resources to strive for more.