28

M I N A

The West looms in The North, their presence felt in the shadows that cling to the building. The air is pregnant with anticipation, the silence in the room mirroring the tension outside. My gaze is drawn to the window on my right, my shoulders tensing at the thought of malicious eyes surveilling our every move.

Within the room, shadows intertwine with the aged wallpaper, creating a tapestry of secrets and history. The air is thick with stillness, and the only intrusion is the faint cascade of light from outside, as if the night is guarding its secrets. Clad in my black fighting suit, I become one with the night, a silhouette that blends into the darkness.

The room carries the weight of time, evidenced by the faded wallpaper adorned with pictures that have weathered the years without replacement. My steps echo with a subtle creaking, betraying the room's age.

Night advances, swallowing our shadows and obscuring the moon, as if aware and in hiding of the plans taking shape tonight.

A further glance outside unveils stars definitely piercing through the clouds that seek to conceal their brilliance.

The room is quiet with Elias's tense unspoken words; he hasn't spoken to me at all, not after I left in the morning. I turn abruptly at the sound of light footsteps, catching a fleeting glimpse of his blonde hair as he moves swiftly past the doorway.

I cautiously advance toward the ghost of Elias's brisk movements when an enraged roar echoes down the hallway.

"Elias, goddamned you!" Noah's voice pierces through the air.

In an instant, his eyes shift towards me, a flicker of relief replacing the tension etched on his face.

"Mina, do me a favor and sort out that bastard. He's gone cold again, and I really don't want to deal with the brunt of his mood."

I almost reply happily because it gives me an excuse to speak to him outside of all the planning from Nicolas's new information. I don't say anything in case Elias knows I'm coming and decides to shut me out.

Noah storms off, trying to calm his temper.

Silently, I find myself treading in Elias's cold wake down the hall. Fleetingly, I avoid the creaks in the floor, swiftly stepping on the floorboards that have been replaced recently.

As I edge near the door he went through, my hand fists the doorknob, and I take a steady breath before twisting, and the door swings open abruptly before me.

My breath leaves my throat like the whisper of wind slipping past leaves when Elias is peering down at me with that dark gaze. His piercing gaze meticulously traces across my figure, from my breasts down to the details of my fighting suit.

In that short moment, a glint of admiration sparkles in his eyes before a veil of coldness returns.

Without uttering a single word, my hand finds its place on his chest, and with an unexpected surge of force, I push him into the room again.

To my surprise, he complies effortlessly, gracefully taking a step backward and letting me gently shut the door behind us.

We both look at each other incredulously for a moment, before my eyes dance around the room. I had never seen it before.

On the side, there's a desk full of paper and ink pots. Then lots of books on a shelf, pent in the corner with cobwebs, and wallpaper just as ancient as the other one.

I slip my hand away from his broad chest, and disappointment etches on his face for a quick moment. "What is wrong with you?" I ask, more demanding and irksome than I would prefer to say it.