37

M I N A

I slowly open my eyes to the soft glow of the morning light filtering through the curtains, casting a warm hue across the room. The first thing that registers is the sight of Elias, perched on the edge of a plush armchair beside my bed. His face wears an expression of evident boredom, features contorted in a way that suggests he's been enduring an eternity of waiting.

The bed beneath me cradles me in its cocoon of softness. The headboard, a rich mahogany, stands tall like a sentinel, grazing the top of my head.

The pillows, plump and inviting, are scattered around me from Elias's twisting throughout the night. I suck in a breath when I finally lift my eyes to his face, the warmth of the light caressing his cheekbones.

He looks beautiful.

Elias, with his watch glinting in the morning light, raises an eyebrow in mock exasperation. "You've certainly got a knack for sleeping. I've been sitting here for longer than an hour," he remarks, his voice carrying the weight of both annoyance and amusement.

As he speaks, his foot taps against the floor, each rhythmic beat echoing in the quiet room.

I meet Elias's gaze, the corners of my lips curling into a playful smile. With a deliberate roll, I shift my attention away, choosing to savour the lingering embrace of the comfortable bed for just a few moments longer.

The blanket slides away from its hold on the tips of Elias's fingers as he attempts to reclaim it, a silent protest against the now leaving boredom. Sensing his intention, I tighten my grip on the cosy fabric, hoarding it selfishly to myself.

An audible sigh escapes from the right side of the bed, a manifestation of Elias's impatience.

Suddenly, a warm hand curls around my waist, fitting snugly into the familiar nooks. For a fleeting moment, I entertain the idea that he'll lie in bed with me. However, that illusion shatters as his other hand snakes around the opposite side, forcefully hauling me out of the bed.

The abrupt covers leaving my body leaves my thighs tingling with coldness, and I find myself falling dangerously close to the chill of the floor. "And what is it that you want," I groan, my voice laden with the remnants of sleep. "I had training with Noah for five hours; you can spare me the lecture."

My nightgown sways around me as I take deliberate steps away from him, wandering around the bed in an effort to slide back under its welcoming covers.

Elias watches with a discerning gaze as I teeter dangerously close to the edge of the bed, his eyes following my every move. In the muted light of the room, his expression carries a hint of seriousness.

"I need your presence this morning," he declares, his tone carrying a weight that suggests there's more beneath the surface.

I pause, my gaze locking onto his as I consider his request. "And what's your grand plan if I decide to hop right back into bed?" I shift near the edge of the bed, my gaze torn between Elias and the inviting warmth of the still-tender bedsheets.

Elias, sensing my internal struggle, stifles back a sarcastic roll of his eyes. "Well, if you're not interested in getting out," he remarks, his patience wearing thin, "I reckon I'll have the guards fetch you out instead."

I sigh. "You really are boring sometimes."

The noise, akin to a stifled laugh, hovers in the air behind me as Elias continues, "Noah has plans for your training later today. As for the present, you're stuck with me for the time being."

I pivot on my heels to face him, catching a fleeting moment where his eyes drop to my legs—a subtle gesture that doesn't escape my notice. "So, where can I find Siastra and Grayson? Just want to make sure I can steer clear of their paths."