52

E L I A S

"A gift. For Mina," Siastra says with a hint of sweetness, holding out the box as if it were some grand gesture. "Before we leave."

I accept the box with a forced smile, already knowing it's likely something Mina wouldn't even glance at twice. Nevertheless, I mutter a polite "Thank you," stifling the urge to roll my eyes as I consider disposing of it later.

"We appreciate our stay," Grayson says, sending a nod in my direction.

I don't say anything more when Grayson dutifully takes Siastra's arm, the picture of chivalry as they make their exit, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the unwanted trinket in my hand.

But curiosity gets the better of me when I look at it, and I open the box and inspect its contents.

Inside the box lies a ring, glimmering softly in the dim light of the room. I pick it up between my fingers, turning it over to inspect the intricate details of its design. It's undeniably beautiful.

But why would Siastra give Mina a ring? The question gnaws at me as I study the piece of jewellery, searching for any clue to its purpose. Perhaps it's a peace offering, an attempt to mend the strained relationship between them.

Regardless of Siastra's intentions, one thing is clear - Mina despises her with every fibre of her being. The idea of accepting a gift from someone she loathes is unthinkable.

With a dismissive shake of my head, I slip the ring back into its box and tuck it away. I already know where Mina is, tucked in her room.

For now, I want answers.

Entering the room, I find her lounging on the bed, lost in a book. I knock twice, half-heartedly, knowing full well she'll be irritated by the interruption.

And true to form, she snaps her head in my direction, annoyance flashing in her eyes as she scolds me for daring to disturb her.

"You've interrupted me," she chides, but I ignore her irritation as I step further into the room.

The floorboards beneath me protest with a soft creak as I settle onto the bed beside Mina, the mattress welcoming my weight with a gentle embrace. She doesn't spare me a glance, her attention seemingly consumed by the pages of the book in her hands.

With a casual gesture, I open the box in front of her, allowing the ring within to catch the light and flicker with a subtle allure.

"This ring was given to you," I say in a matter-of-fact tone, my gaze drifting momentarily to the delicate piece of jewellery nestled in its velvet enclosure.

For a moment, Mina's eyes barely acknowledge the ring, her focus elsewhere until she catches sight of it in the corner of her vision.

In an instant, her demeanour shifts, her eyes widening in recognition as she sits up abruptly, the book forgotten beside her.

With delicate fingers, she reaches out to take the ring from the box, holding it up to the sunlight streaming through the window. The intricacies of the design catch her eye, and she breathes out a soft gasp of awe.

"It was my mother's, given by my grandmother," she murmurs, her voice filled with a mixture of reverence and nostalgia as she traces the delicate roses and diamond centrepiece with her fingertips. "Who gave this to you?"

"Siastra," I reply casually, the name slipping from my lips with an air of nonchalance.

As soon as the name slips from my lips, a moment of uncertainty washes over me.