Chapter 3

Eric's sky-blue eyes flickered immediately toward Mina and traveled over her exposed back and side for the briefest of moments before he averted them politely. "I'm not late, am I?"

"No, you're on time," Karen assured him. "We're just about to get started."

Mina's throat tightened,choking the words of shock that were whirling through her mind.What was Eric doing at the shoot, and how the hell had Karen forgotten to tell her that he was coming? She cleared her throat and tried to sound casual. She might as well try to put a brave face on and get the shoot over with as soon as possible. Jess was waiting at home and Mina had promised to help her with a research paper she was doing for her English class. "I didn't realize that anyone from Hot Ink would be coming to ... uh, oversee the shoot."

Eric looked up, his gaze settling on her face this time, his eyes locking with hers. For some reason, it made her feel as if they were the only two people in the world. Everything else faded away for a moment: Karen, her studio and the elaborate light set-up ... everything. "Am I making you uncomfortable? I could--"

Karen interrupted, shattering Mina's illusion of being alone with Eric. "He's here to make sure I capture images that will really showcase his work."

Mina nodded, hoping she didn't look as if that idea had never occurred to her.

"But that's not all," Karen continued,sounding like a game show host announcing prizes. "He's also here to model."

Fantasy visions flashed through Mina's mind unbidden, showing her an up-close view of his eye-catching biceps. If he was here to model, then his shirt must be hiding some incredible tattoos -- just as Mina had suspected. Secret excitement mixed with her unease, causing her stomach to tie itself in anxious knots. "Really?"

Karen nodded. "One of the other artists at Hot Ink did some work for him and the owner wants those photos for advertisements."

The stool wobbled a little as Mina shifted her weight, still holding the silk close. She was going to see Eric's tattoos after all. She glanced down at the length of material. It was only fair, if he was going to see her like this. Not that he was seeing anything he hadn't touched when he'd actually done the tattoo, but this felt different.

"I can wait out in the hall if I'm making you uncomfortable."

A hint of heat crept into Mina's cheeks. Eric watched her with sincere, blue eyes, waiting for an answer. Meanwhile, Karen stood behind him, silently mouthing the words 'I need him'. 

"It's all right. I don't mind if you stay."

He nodded. "Thanks. Jed - that's the owner - couldn't be here, so he wanted me to come and give input,but I'm sure Karen doesn't need my help."

Karen beamed. "Don't be afraid to chime in if you have any suggestions. I want you to be happy with these photos."

He shrugged. "I was happy with the originals."

A warm glow of satisfaction enveloped Mina. Today her makeup was professionally done and Karen had put her hair up in an elegant knot and inserted some glittering diamond studs into her earlobes. But Eric liked the originals - the photos where she'd looked the same as she had in his tattoo chair and during their brief almost-date. Maybe it shouldn't have pleased her to know that - after all, it wasn't like they'd be going out again -- but it did.

"Eric, can you stand beside Mina and hold this?" Karen handed him a grey card and stood ready with her camera.

"Sure." He stepped carefully onto the paper background, holding the grey card in front of himself like a shield. "This good?"