Chapter 5

Mina had cooked dinner for Jess before leaving the apartment, and Karen had volunteered to stay there with Jess for the evening. So there was no reason why Mina shouldn't relax and enjoy her time with Eric -- or at least, there wouldn't have been if she'd already made her confession. But she hadn't,which meant that Eric still didn't know that she was a fourteenyear old girl's sole legal guardian. He didn't even know what she did for a living. He didn't know her.

But they'd kissed. Mina's mind kept reminding her of that, as if it meant anything. A kiss didn't mean much more than a handshake to most women her age nowadays, did it? Well, maybe a little more, but few people gave it the significance that her heart was trying to assign to it. She tried not to think of the feel of Eric's lips against hers as she settled into her seat at the cozy restaurant table. "This place seems nice." Eric had picked her up at her apartment at seven as he'd promised and taken her to a Mexican restaurant known for their specialty fajitas. She loved Mexican food, but couldn't seem to muster up much of an appetite as the hostess handed her a menu.

"It's a favorite of mine," he said as he took a seat. "The fajitas really are amazing."

She managed a smile as a waiter hurried by their table, the platter he carried sizzling and exuding a surprisingly tempting aroma. "Mexican food is actually my favorite,too."

"Yeah." He smiled ruefully. "Karen called to let me know that."

Mina sighed. "Maybe I should be surprised, but I'm not."

He laughed. "Neither am I. I got the feeling that she was trying to push us together the other night at Ruby's."

"You have no idea," Mina said, thinking back to the heated conversation she and Karen had shared that afternoon in the restaurant's bathroom. "But anyway, I appreciate how nice you were to Jess. I know she can be chatty."

He shrugged, revealing a hint of a smile. "She's quiet as a mouse compared to your friend Karen.Besides, I didn't mind. She seems like a great kid." His smile seemed to waver for half a second, the lapse so brief that Mina wondered whether she might have imagined it. "And very talented,too."

Mina grinned, remembering their night at Ruby's, when Eric had been caught in the crossfire of Karen and Jess's characteristically enthusiastic conversations. "Yeah, now that you mention it, I guess I tend to surround myself with loud people." Maybe that was another reason she was so attracted to Eric. He was calm and relatively quiet, but not in a brooding way -- more in a laid-back fashion. Her cheeks warmed as she remembered his complacency at Karen's studio, where he'd agreed to her suggestions without batting an eyelash -- including her request that he pose half-naked with Mina. Was he always so agreeable, or had he wanted to wrap his arms around her with nothing but a sinfully thin layer of silk between their bodies?

They shared an appetizer, discussing the reason why they'd met in the first place -- tattoos -- between bites. By the time their fajitas were delivered hot and sizzling,she knew she'd only be able to enjoy the meal if she got her ultra-condensed life summary out into the open. Then they could enjoy dinner together and Eric would have a little time to contemplate it. It wasn't an easy thing to bring up. She'd just have to plunge right in. "I should probably tell you; Karen is keeping Jess company for me right now. Jess doesn't have parents -just me. I'm her legal guardian."

Eric set his water glass down on the table and Mina couldn't help but notice the moisture that gleamed on his tempting lips. "Wow. I wouldn't have guessed."

Mina nodded. "Yeah. We've been living that way for three years now. We're both used to it -- I just thought it was something you should know if, you know..."

He nodded. "I understand."

His tone was easy and decidedly neutral; impossible to really interpret. She tried not to read too much into it. The moment of truth would come when dinner ended. For now, she'd just try to enjoy the meal as best she could.