Chapter 8

Jess had given up sketching and was sitting in her chair, looking glum as she stared at nothing in particular. "Jess, there's someone here to see you."

Jess replied without meeting Mina's gaze. "Eric and Karen?"

"No."

Jess looked up suspiciously."Who?"

"It's Blake."

"Why's he here?"

Mina fought the smile that was threatening to spread across her face. "Why don't you go see?" Maybe Jess would accept Blake's offer and end up having a good time after all.

Jess hesitated for a moment  relaxing her frown just a little and rolling out of her room. Mina followed her, her stomach churning with nervousness.Would she say yes? Her dress hung in her closet, ready to be worn.There was still time for her hair and make-up to be done. It could work. The night could be saved.

"Hey Jess." Blake stood in the doorway,looking more nervous than ever. "These are for you." He thrust the flowers toward Jess before she could say anything.

She accepted the bouquet and stared down at the vibrant riot of blossoms, looking faintly bewildered."What for?"

He seemed to have spent his time waiting working up the courage to ask a single question. "Will you go to the homecoming dance with me tonight?" It came out rushed,but clear enough.

Mina's heart wrenched as Blake and Jess made eye contact and simply stared at each other for a moment. Blake's gaze was nervous and hopeful, while Jess's was wary, but beneath their inhibitions, they both wore identical expressions of hope.

"You're not asking me just because you feel sorry for me, are you?" Jess asked, her tone suspicious, but softer than Mina had expected.

He shook his head. "No. I wanted to ask you weeks ago, but I was nervous and Will asked you first."

"Well then..." She dropped her gaze to the flowers in her lap, stroking a deep purple petal. "Okay." She smiled up at him tentatively, and he beamed back.

Mina turned toward the kitchen, hiding a huge grin. When she was able to smooth her features into a somewhat less ecstatic expression, she faced Jess and Blake again. "We'd better hurry to get you ready," she said, crossing the room and placing a hand on Jess's shoulder.

"When do you want me to come back?"Blake asked.

"How about six?" Mina suggested.

Jess and Blake both nodded. "See you then," Blake said, casting one last glance over his shoulder at Jess as he retreated toward his own apartment.

"Okay, let's get started on your hair."Mina ushered Jess down the hallway, pausing only to call Eric and Karen to inform them of the change in plans. Karen offered to drive Jess and Blake to the dance, as well as to a restaurant before hand if they wanted. Mina thanked her profusely, her heart fluttering as she imagined her half a night alone with Eric. Everything was back on, and for a moment she was almost as nervous as Blake had looked when he'd come to the door asking for Jess. The remembered feel of the warm press of Eric's lips and tongue between her hips put some fire in her blood, quelling her worries a little. She couldn't wait to finally have him and the apartment to herself.

* * * * *

"Hey." Mina dusted a few flecks of fine glitter from her palms as she greeted Eric. She'd misted Jess's perfectly curled hair with a shimmer spray before she'd left with Blake and Karen, and a little of it had stuck to her hands.

"Hey." Eric stepped inside, cradling a porcelain pot against his chest. "This is for you." A slender stem rose from the pot, ending in half a dozen perfect violet blossoms.