𝐅𝐥𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧'𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐢𝐧 𝐩𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞

━━━━━━━━━━━

It was dark outside and the pub was packed with drunk and happy men. Grace was standing on a make-shift stage near to the pub piano and was singing 'The Boy I Love'. She had told me that it was a sweet romantic ballad with a lilting rhythm. The men in the pub were singing along or swapping raucous laughter with the handful of young prostitutes who hung out in pairs among the men.

And what was I doing?

I was standing near the small window and criticizing them. Grace for her singing and the men for... their singing too. It sounded horrible and I just couldn't wait to hurry back home.

Home.

Where was my home?

Did I even have a home now?

My dad had died when I was about fifteen because of his heart condition. It was sudden but I knew that it had something to do with my mum because, well, she was a whore. Going around, sleeping for money even though dad had a stable job and income. Dad knew about that, of course, and they used to have many arguments about the matter too, which included mainly them shouting at each other and my mum slapping dad.

Which then ended with dad getting drunk and mum going for another late night out. Disgusting. But dad was nice, too nice and fragile. He loved mum with all his heart even after her disgusting acts. He did think about divorcing her though but he backed out every time because he thought that'd make my life more harder than it already was and maybe deep down he was hoping that mum would change.

Of course, she never did and dad ended up dying. Since I was their only child and a minor, mum did take care of me, that was, until I was eighteen and then she practically threw me out of the house, saying that I was old enough to live on my own. Bullshit.

Luckily, my grandfather — my dad's dad — took me in because apparently he had always wanted to take care of his grandchildren. And I stayed with him until he died too. I was around twenty-three when that had happened, doing a nursing course.

Later I got to know the real reason why my mum had kicked me out. It was because she had found the "love of her life" with whom she had a child with. She wanted to move in with them and she knew there was no chance of that unless I was out of the house.

My mum was a bitch.

Then she got tricked. The man she was supposedly in "love" with cheated on her with some other whore and they got divorced, the custody of the child going to the father because well, the child didn't want to live with a whore mother.