𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐝 𝐰𝐨𝐧

━━━━━━━━━━━

"What'd he say?"

I asked without much interest as I swiped the table clean. Grace had gone to give information to Campbell. I didn't know how their conversation had gone since I wasn't there. She stopped her cleaning and glanced at me.

"He told me to check the serial numbers of the guns I see." She looked around and dug through her dress, handing me a slip of paper with a list of serial numbers. I analyzed it and nodded thoughtfully.

"Why are you working for him anyway? I don't see any reason to dirty yourself for some sick prick." I grumbled in distaste. By now, it was very clear that I had a strong dislike towards Campbell. That was why Grace hadn't asked me to go with her when meeting him. She did ask me why I didn't like him and I told her she'd understand that later. She was confused and curious but she didn't question it further.

A short silence passed between us. I thought she wouldn't answer me seeing as it was a very sensitive topic. So, imagine my surprise when she said, "The IRA murdered my father. I'm just doing what he could have done if he was alive."

She cleared her throat and spoke again, "I did tell him that I believed the guns were taken by the IRA. But he just dismissed me saying I must not let my history cloud my judgement." She sighed and went back to work.

I nodded again but didn't say anything. After a while she spoke again, "They say he won two medals for gallantry in the War."

"Who?"

"Thomas Shelby. While serving his men, I had interrogated them and I found out. That's quite impressive, isn't it?" She smiled but quickly wiped it off her face when I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Not even a week of meeting him and you're already smitten." I smirked at her and she shook her head.

"No. It's not that. I just... tell me, you don't think it's fascinating?" She questioned me but I didn't reply. I was too busy staring at a certain Shelby as he walked past the Garrison.

"Yeah." I mumbled in distraction.

"We should close and leave. It's late." She said and followed my gaze but he had already disappeared into the dark.