The first signs

Gazing out through the window, the sky was a canvas veiled in ominous black clouds, foretelling the impending arrival of a tempestuous storm.

Throughout the day, Edward found solace in the mundane routine of household chores as the daylight gradually waned into the embrace of night.

With a lingering absence of appetite, he retreated to his chamber, seeking refuge in the comfort of his bed. His eyes found solace in the photographs adorning the nightstand, frozen moments capturing the essence of his childhood alongside his father.

An overwhelming yearning enveloped him; a desperate longing to embrace his father, to recapture the fleeting innocence of a child nestled within paternal arms.

Unrestrained tears flowed freely down his cheeks, each drop carrying the weight of unspoken emotions. Gradually, amid the quiet of the room, he surrendered to slumber, the solace found in a world woven between dreams and memories.

Outside, a storm raged, unleashing its fury upon the world.

Meanwhile, Edward lay entrenched in slumber, ensnared by the tendrils of a recurring nightmare. Within the dark confines of his mind, he found himself once more, navigating a labyrinthine void, pursued by haunting whispers echoing accusations of monstrosity.
"Monster, you're a monster," the damning voices persisted, compelling him to flee, to escape an unseen adversary. His desperate sprint continued until his breath faltered, and there it materialized before him-a frozen lake, an ominous harbinger of impending dread.

"No, no, no, no, God, please," his voice pleaded in the chilling void.

Abruptly, his eyes snapped open, his body drenched in sweat, lungs gasping for air. Thunder punctured the eerie silence of the room. The visceral fear of thunder, etched into his soul since childhood, seemed to linger without reason, shrouding him in discomfort.

Fumbling in the darkness, his hand groped for the sanctuary of the light switch, but the power outage denied him that small refuge.

"Come on, that's all I need!" he exclaimed in frustration, a mere echo in the storm's cacophony.

Guided by the feeble glow of his cell phone, Edward navigated his way through the enveloping darkness towards the kitchen. The habit of relying on sleeping pills had long been abandoned, but in this moment of turmoil, it seemed like the only refuge he craved.

Intermittent flashes of lightning briefly illuminated the contours of the house, casting eerie shadows that danced along the walls. In a haze of drowsiness, he stumbled forward, each step a battle against the oppressive weight of exhaustion.

Amidst the symphony of thunderclaps, a new sound pierced the air-a delicate, haunting cry, an unmistakable lament echoing through the gloom. A shiver ran down his spine as he froze, straining to locate the source of the sorrowful wail in the unsettling stillness of the night.

Edward remained rooted to the spot, an icy chill creeping up his spine as the cries escalated into heart-rending sobs, rending the silence of the night.

His body tensed as the bathroom door swung open with an abrupt, jarring noise, abruptly snuffing out the haunting cries that had enveloped the house moments ago.

"What the fuck?!" Edward exclaimed, his mind teetering between the realms of reality and imagination, unable to discern the boundaries between the two.

With a cautious step forward, he approached the bathroom, eyes scanning for any sign of disturbance. A fleeting thought crossed his mind-perhaps a window left ajar had succumbed to the gusty winds, causing the door to sway open. Yet, upon inspection, the windows stood shut, denying the wind any role in this unsettling occurrence. The inexplicable events only deepened the eerie atmosphere that engulfed him.

"I've gone completely mad," Edward muttered to himself in a desperate attempt to rationalize the inexplicable. With a heavy heart, he shut the bathroom door behind him, hoping to leave behind the unnerving disturbance.

As he pivoted, intent on retreating to the sanctuary of his room, a glint in the darkness seized his attention. In the dimly lit living room, nestled by the fireplace, a pair of eyes pierced the shadows-a haunting crimson gaze fixated on him, brimming with an ominous ferocity.

A cold shiver ran down his spine, freezing him in his tracks. A primal fear gripped his soul, leaving him paralyzed in the face of this malevolent presence, lingering ominously in the obscurity of the room.

With trembling hands, Edward fumbled for the light switch, hoping to dispel the darkness that cloaked the living room. However, the persistent power outage denied him the solace of illumination. Desperate, he resorted to using the feeble glow of his cell phone to cast some semblance of light into the shadowy expanse.

In a fleeting moment of stark brilliance, a bolt of lightning streaked across the sky, briefly illuminating the room. In that ephemeral glow, Edward glimpsed the horrifying figure-an otherworldly being with colossal blood-red eyes, elongated arms terminating in grotesque, razor-sharp nails, and a maw resembling a torn, gaping void.

The image seared into his mind, sending shivers of terror coursing through his veins. The mere sight of this abomination froze him in a state of petrified horror, rendering him motionless in the face of such nightmarish visage.

As the aberrant creature began its ominous advance, its wheezing breath resonating in the suffocating silence, Edward found himself ensnared in a web of terror, immobilized by the sheer horror unfolding before him.

With a heart pounding in his chest, Edward dared not turn away, instead retreating inch by inch, a trance-like fear constricting his movements. A chilling realization dawned upon him-escape was imperative.

Without breaking eye contact, he cautiously retreated backward, his senses hyperaware of the creature's slow, deliberate approach. With a trembling hand, he reached behind, finding the handle of the bathroom door. Without hesitation, he pushed it open, hastening inside, his movements a frenzied blur of terror and desperation.

The door slammed shut with a resounding thud, the lock securing it in a feeble attempt at sanctuary. Inside the confined space of the bathroom, Edward braced himself against the door, his breaths ragged and panicked, hoping against hope that this fragile barrier would withstand the creature's malevolent intentions.