The Conversation

"Didn't Harry give you any trouble coming here?" Edward's voice was tentative, the words carefully chosen yet tinged with uncertainty. He couldn't quite find the right words to express the jumble of emotions swirling within him. He couldn't understand why Harry would leave Lisabeth alone with him, with friends they hadn't spoken to in years.

"Why would he cause trouble?" Lisabeth's response was gentle, her tone laced with a hint of confusion. She seemed unfazed by the disarray of Edward's home, as if the chaos around them held no significance.

As Edward spoke, he avoided meeting her gaze, his eyes darting around the room. "So he saw nothing wrong with leaving his girlfriend alone with a freak that everyone ran away from?" The words spilled out before he could stop them, a raw expression of the self-doubt and isolation that had plagued him for years.

Lisabeth's expression softened, and she reached out to gently touch his arm. "Edward, you're not a freak. You never were. We were kids, and kids can be cruel. But we're adults now, and I see you for who you are—a kind and gentle soul."

Edward flinched back involuntarily when Lisabeth's hand made contact with his arm, a reflexive response to unexpected touch. "Lisabeth, look, I really can't talk much right now—"

"What did you come to town for today?"

Edward cleared his throat, grappling with the weight of Lisabeth's question. "Long story."

Without waiting for further explanation, Lisabeth strode into the living room and settled onto the sofa, seemingly unperturbed by the disarray that surrounded them. Edward followed her with hesitant steps, his discomfort palpable as he avoided making direct eye contact.

He sank into an armchair opposite her, the distance between them a tangible barrier that mirrored the emotional distance he had erected over the years. As Lisabeth regarded him with an expectant expression, Edward felt a surge of unease, uncertain of how much to reveal.

For Edward, the simple act of conversation felt like navigating a minefield, each word fraught with the potential to unravel the carefully constructed walls he had built around himself. And as Lisabeth's gaze lingered upon him, he found himself grappling with the weight of his own insecurities, wondering if he would ever find the courage to tear down those walls and let someone in. 

"Harry and I don't really have a relationship,"

Edward was taken aback by Lisabeth's candid admission about her relationship with Harry. Her words hung in the air, punctuating the silence between them with a sense of unease.

"What do you mean?" Edward's curiosity was piqued, his gaze meeting Lisabeth's as he sought to understand her words.

"We're not exactly a harmonious couple. In fact, Harry is not mature at all. We don't see eye to eye." Lisabeth's voice held a note of resignation, as if she had long since accepted the reality of her situation.

Edward felt a surge of conflicting emotions—surprise, confusion, and a twinge of sympathy for Lisabeth's plight. He hadn't expected their conversation to veer into such personal territory, and he found himself at a loss for words.

As he sat across from Lisabeth, grappling with the revelation she had just shared, Edward couldn't help but wonder about the complexities of human relationships. In that moment, he realized that perhaps he and Lisabeth were more alike than he had ever imagined—both grappling with their own struggles, both seeking solace in the midst of life's uncertainties.

Edward was startled out of his reverie by Lisabeth's voice, pulling him back to the present moment. .

"It would be so nice to have you back with us, believe me. Just like we used to be," Lisabeth said, her voice soft and wistful.

Edward's response was hesitant, his words measured as he tried to convey the depth of his feelings. "I'm sorry, Lisabeth, I—I can't do it. It's not possible."

Lisabeth's brow furrowed in confusion. "Why?"

"I don't know," Edward admitted, his voice tinged with a sense of resignation.

Lisabeth paused, her gaze searching his face for answers. "I think pain makes people mature, and you..."

Edward felt a knot form in his stomach, a sense of unease settling over him. He couldn't quite decipher Lisabeth's intentions, and he found himself growing increasingly tense as he waited for her next words. Was she going to confess her feelings for him after all these years? The thought seemed absurd, and Edward quickly dismissed it as wishful thinking.

Edward's tone grew more curt as he tried to deflect Lisabeth's attempts to engage with him. "When's Harry coming to pick you up?" he asked, his words laced with impatience.

Lisabeth seemed unfazed by his brusqueness. "Do you want me to go?" she asked, her voice gentle yet probing.

Edward's frustration mounted. "Look, Lisabeth, I'm serious, I'm really in no condition to talk!" he snapped, his words sharper than he intended.

Lisabeth's expression softened, her concern evident in her eyes. "If you have a problem, I can help you," she offered, her voice filled with genuine care.

Edward shook his head, his tone firm. "There's really no need," he insisted, his words a finality to them.

"I don't want you to be alone..."