The Unexpected Guest

"When you realize what death is, you've grown up," he mused, recalling the profound insight he had gained at the age of 11—a moment that had marked the end of innocence and the beginning of understanding.

Yet, as he grappled with the enigmatic presence of the shadow creature in the pictures, he found himself at a loss. The significance of its recurring appearance remained elusive, a mystery shrouded in the mists of time.

His reverie was abruptly interrupted by a knock at the door—a sound that shattered the stillness of his solitude. It was a rarity, an unexpected intrusion into the quiet sanctuary he had built for himself. With a mixture of curiosity and apprehension, Edward approached the door, his mind awash with questions and uncertainties.

When he swung the door open, Edward was met with a sight he hadn't anticipated.

"Lisabeth?"

"Hi."

Her greeting hung in the air, bridging the gap between their shared history and the present moment. Edward found himself rooted to the spot, his mind racing to process the sudden encounter.

"How are you?"

He struggled to formulate a response, his thoughts swirling in a tumult of emotions.

He wondered, Would you believe me if I said I was fine?

"What are you doing here?"

The question tumbled out before he could stop it, revealing the turmoil that churned within him. He felt a pang of regret at the abruptness of his words, unsure of how to navigate this unexpected reunion.

Lisabeth hesitated, her gaze meeting his with a mixture of empathy and understanding.

"Well, I saw you in town today but... mmm I just wanted to ask how you were. I know it's been ages since we spoke."

Edward stood frozen in the doorway, his mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Lisabeth stood before him, a familiar presence from his past, unchanged by the passage of time. Her features remained etched in his memory—the cascade of dark blond hair, the warmth of her hazel eyes, the gentle curve of her smile. She was a vision of nostalgia, a reminder of simpler times.

As the silence stretched between them, Lisabeth broke the spell with her gentle voice

"Harry dropped me off here. He's picking me up in, like, half an hour. Won't you invite me in?"

Edward blinked, as if rousing from a daze. His heart fluttered with a mixture of apprehension and longing, the familiarity of Lisabeth's presence stirring dormant memories within him.

"S-sure, come..."

With a hesitant gesture, he stepped aside, allowing Lisabeth to cross the threshold into his home.