The Memories

"Time doesn't always heal; sometimes, it just teaches us to live with the ache."

The moon cast a soft glow through Edward's window, illuminating his room as he stirred from sleep. A quiet resolve filled him as he decided to embark on a nocturnal adventure. He dressed silently, careful not to disturb the peace that enveloped his home, particularly wary of rousing the imposing figure of his father. The consequences of being caught leaving without permission loomed large—punishment was certain.

Creeping stealthily from his room, Edward treaded lightly on tiptoes, the creak of the floorboards muffled by his cautious steps. The hushed stillness was abruptly shattered by a familiar voice.

"Eddie."

Startled, he pivoted, heart racing, to face his 6-year-old sister, Claire. Her sensitivity, especially to noise, was well-known within the household. Even the slightest sound had the power to jolt her from sleep, and Edward found himself on the receiving end of her unexpected presence.

"Oh, my God, Claire, you scared the shit out of me!"

"Where are you going?"

"None of your business, runt, go to sleep."

"Are you going out?"

"You're so nosy! Go to sleep, you little witch."

"Don't call me that! I'll tell Mummy."

"Don't do it! This stays between us, okay?"

Edward, with a mix of irritation and coaxing, attempted to placate Claire's curiosity.

 "Where are you going?"

"I'm on a mission, dear. Why don't you go to your room and go to sleep?"

"I'm coming with you."

Edward rolled his eyes in exasperation. Claire, much like their father, exhibited an unyielding stubbornness.

"Okay, come on."

They ventured out silently, making their way toward the workshop where an array of garden tools was stored. The night air, though cold, didn't carry a bitter chill. Claire, however, had only ventured out in her pajamas, a decision that could lead to catching a cold.

Within the confines of the workshop, Edward retrieved a small box from the floor.

"What's in there?"

"Keep quiet, all right?"

Claire, undeterred by her brother's mysterious demeanor, moved closer to peer into the box. As Edward slowly opened the lid, a tiny, motionless puppy came into view, nestled within the confines of the box.

"What about him?"

Edward gently placed the box down, his gaze fixed on the motionless puppy. Without averting his eyes, he spoke softly.

"I don't know. I found him on the side of the road where we were playing this morning. Maybe he got hit by a car."

"Poor thing."

Claire's eyes welled with sympathy, and she teetered on the verge of tears.

"I have to have a funeral for him. I'll dig a grave for him... I feel sorry for him."

In the solemnity of the night, the siblings found themselves confronted with the fragility of life. 

Edward cradled the box containing the lifeless puppy in his hands, a solemn weight settling upon his shoulders.  He turned to Claire, her eyes shimmering with a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Come on, you go home now. We'll keep this between us as a secret, okay?"

"I want to come too, Eddie."

"No, Claire, you can't come."

"Where are you going to go?"

"To the woods, near the lake, near where I found him."

Edward picked up his little plastic shovel and began the solitary walk toward the woods.