Chapter 6 - Partners

Chapter Song Rec: Way Out by Jack Harlow and Big Sean

_____________________________

Your POV

_____________________________

"Morning, rat."

"You're hilarious, Ravi"

As you sat yourself down at the lunch tables with Maria and Ravi, you found yourself thinking back to last night. That flash you'd grabbed...you'd have to look through it tonight. You were planning on staying up the whole night to watch all the videos, but it looked like your plans might get interrupted.

"Come on, y/n, we haven't hung out in forever!!" Maria exclaimed, shaking your shoulders when you didn't respond. Ravi was stifling his laughter behind his hand at your dazed expression. "Don't bother, Maria, she's too much of a nerd to want to spend her study time at the mall anyways."

"Yeah look who's talking, captain of the robotics team." You retorted, rolling your eyes. "But seriously, I've got a lot of work to do tonight." You gave Maria an apologetic look which she ignored. "Please??"

Ravi looked at you, his expression turning from sarcastic to more of a pleading, do it for me? kind of look. Of course, he wanted me to come along so he could hang out with Maria. No way I was gonna be a third wheel. 

"Maria-" she shook your shoulders again, causing you to nearly drop your juicebox. "Please!! There's so many deals too, we'll have so much fun!"

"Wait, we're gonna buy stuff? I'm too broke for that shi-" Ravi started to say, looking as though he might back down himself. "No, no, no we can window shop!" She said quickly, grabbing his hand, her eyes still fixated on you. Despite his darker skin, you could tell he was blushing like crazy. You shot him a knowing smirk and he mouthed for you to shut up.

Suddenly, Maria let go of your shoulder and scooched back a little, a wide eyed expression on her face. You looked at her confusedly until you felt a tap on your back. You turned around to see none other than Miles Morales standing there, hands shoved in the pockets of his purple hoodie. "Hey."

You blinked. "Hi."

He looked at you for a moment before shaking his head slightly and asking, "Do you have the answers for the Spanish homework?"

"Yeah, but we're not in the same class." You said, raising a brow at him. "I'm in Spanish 3, you're in Spanish 4."

"Oh yeah. Right." He put his hand on the back of his head and looked to the side awkwardly. You nodded your head in response, not really sure what else we wanted to say. Maria and Ravi were watching your conversation intently, Maria looking up at Miles with an excited grin and Ravi looking at her annoyedly.

"You need something?" You asked, breaking the silence. His eyes widened slightly as he looked at you, swallowing back a lump in his throat. "No, no, I just...thought you'd have the answers."

"I don't."

"Oh."

"So, Miles, do you play any sports?" Maria asked, looking up at him with a friendly smile. Oh thank god, she was way better at talking to people than you were. You let out a sigh of relief as, to Ravi's dismay, she pulled him into a conversation. "Yeah, I play basketball."

"Are you gonna try out for the team?"

"Ion know. Prolly."

"Why'd you transfer here?" Ravi butt in, leaning over the table with a curious, and slightly annoyed, look on his face. Miles looked at Ravi, his bored expression faltering slightly as he tried to make up what you believed to be an excuse. "Visions isn't allat." He muttered with a shrug.