Chapter 8 - Criminals

A/N: Mb y'all I low-key disappeared cuz finals and writers block were beating my ass 😭 I'll try to update more regularly <3 Take this longer chapter as an official apology 🙏 

Chapter Song Rec: Role Model by Brent Faiyaz

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"No."

"What? Why?"

Miles stared at his uncle in confusion, unsure of how to respond. "It'll be quick, maybe twenty minutes max." Aaron shook his head no in respond, hands on his hips. "Not happening."

"Come on, Tio-"

"You don't even have a plan. And what are you gonna be using these...microbots for? I ain't never heard about this weird-ass programmable matter shit you're going on about building, where'd these blueprints even come from?" Aaron asked, glaring at his nephew.

"I just..." Miles hesitated, looking down sheepishly. "Thought they'd be cool to have." He mumbled.

Aaron raised his eyebrow in response, not believing a word his nephew said. "Are they for someone?"

"What? No!" Miles spluttered, shaking his head furiously as he lied through his teeth. "They're for me! I'm gonna do...stuff with them. Techy stuff."

"Nah, nah, you've been meeting someone." Aaron replied, shaking his head in frustration, frowning at Miles. "Who is it?"

"No one-"

"Don't lie to me little man, this is my operation you're a part of. I can kick you out just as easily as I brought you in."

Miles looked up at his uncle's dead serious expression and sighed. "They're for-" he hesitated again before mumbling, "-a girl."

"A what?"

"A girl." Miles said a little louder, looking up at his uncle awkwardly. Aaron opened his mouth as though he was going to say something in response, but Miles cut him off. "It's not like that! Look, she just needs these to build something. It's not a big deal, I'll be out of there in twenty minutes, flat."

"And why does this girl need government issued weaponry?" Aaron asked coldly.

"It's for a project she's working on." Miles' voice sounded like it was going to crack at any moment. "Like I said, not a big deal."

Aaron stared back at him for a moment, tapping his foot on the floor as he thought it over. "Fine." He groaned. "Twenty minutes, flat. But this chick isn't getting anything else after that, capische?"

"Yes sir." Miles replied, a smile spreading across his face. He held out his fist, bumping it against Aaron's. "Thanks Unc."

"Yeah, yeah." Aaron replied with a dramatically loud sigh. "Who is this girl, man?"

Miles looked down at his feet awkwardly, putting his hands behind his back. "Just someone I met in class."

Aaron gave Miles a stern look. "Did you tell her?" He asked, looking as though he was about to chew him out any moment. "No, no!" Miles replied, putting his hands up defensively. "Of course not!"

"How're you gonna explain to her how you got your hands on these? No 15 year old kid-"

"I'm not giving them to her as Miles. I'm giving them to her as the Prowler."

Aaron stopped, jaw dropping. "You're what?"

Miles hesitated, feeling even worse at this point. "I've been...meeting her as the Prowler." He mumbled, looking up at his uncle awkwardly. Aaron looked pissed. "And why haven't I heard about this?"