Chapter 10 - A Budding Friendship

Chapter Song Rec: Dark Night by Jack Harlow (can you tell that I love his music 💀)

_______________________

Miles' POV

_______________________

What the hell is wrong with me?? Why the fuck did I send her a dm so fast?

Miles stared at his phone, the word 'delivered' sending a shock of shame through his body. God was this embarrassing...

It was only a short message, a simple "Hey.", but even that felt like he'd gone too far. He'd only just followed you. He didn't want to seem like some sort of stalker. Shit.

He rolled over, the back of his head resting on the cold pillow, his legs spread out as he continued to refresh the page, hoping you'd respond or at least see it.

Nothing.

It's fine...maybe you just weren't online? No, no, you had to be online, you'd accepted his follow request, right?

Maybe you'd put your phone down?

He let out an audible groan before tossing the phone to the side, staring up angrily, like it was the ceiling's fault you'd left him on delivered. Why did this have to be so difficult??

He was reminded of when he'd last seen you last night, the look on your face right before he'd jumped out the window.

The way you'd reacted to him calling you querida.

His cheeks heat up slightly as he thought back to the moment, another wave of shame passing over him when he realized just how stupid he must've looked, wearing giant claws and an intimidating mask while calling you his darling.

He smacked his forehead, muttering under his breath. "Stupid, stupid, stupid." Tilting his head back he gave his phone one more glance, eyebrows raised in a flash of hope.

Nothing.

"Motherfu-"

"Hey, Miles! Come down here for a sec!"

Miles quickly sat up at the sound of his uncle's voice calling him, a confused expression forming on his face. He sounded...scared? Since when did his uncle ever sound scared?

He jumped off the bed, shoving his phone in his pocket before heading downstairs, skipping a few steps as he sped down the stairs. "What's up, Tio?"

Miles stopped as he noticed his Uncle's face, contorted in fear with his eyes wide. "Where were you last night?"

"Grabbing the supplies for Mami...why?" Miles replied awkwardly, trying to read his Uncle's expression.

"That's it? That's all you did?"

"Yeah...why?

"Come here." Aaron gestured for Miles to join him in front of the television, tuning it to the news channel with a couple taps his finger. "Check this out."

Miles watched curiously, folding his arms over his chest and leaning against the wall while the report played.

"Witnesses have been reporting more and more sights of the new Prowler roaming the streets, his flashy suit catching the attention of not only the general public but also many of the city's major politicians and leaders."

Miles glanced over at his uncle, eyebrow raised. His uncle only nodded in response, putting his hand up. "Wait for it."

"Although recently, it seems the Prowler has become more and more active over the past few nights, with reports pouring in about his whereabouts. He is believed to have robbed the Brooklyn General Hospital last night, with hundreds of dollars in medical supplies found missing this morning."