Mother And Son Epilogue

Kevin thought hard about what to do next. He thought for days. Days turned to weeks. Weeks turned to months. One night, he was in bed with Barbara, in their respective PJs. He had that pondering look which was similar to Bruce's brooding, and Barbara could tell that something was on his mind. "Kevin, are you okay babe?" Barbara asked. Kevin shook his head quickly a little to regain focus and said, "yeah I'm fine. I've just been thinking. I looked like I was brooding didn't I?" Barbara giggled, "a little bit. What were you thinking of?" Kevin rubbed his right arm a little and said, "A couple months back, Dad was visiting the prison Clark resides in. Technical observation. Turns out Mom is a prisoner there too... They talked..."

"And Bruce told you that?" Barbara asked. "He also told me that Mom wants to speak with me," explained Kevin, "Dad told me that I didn't have to do it immediately. He said to take my time..." Barbara looked at Kevin and asked, "are you thinking about seeing Andrea?" Kevin slowly nodded and replied, "what my mom did was bridge-burning. And yet my faith in God would want me to forgive my enemy and make peace..." Barbara gently wrapped her arm around Kevin and said, "it's your choice if you want to reconcile with your mother or not. And whatever decision you make, I'll always support you." Kevin looked at Barbara and said, "my dad never got the closure he always wanted when he lost his parents. Maybe I'll be able to sleep better at night if I forgive my mom and listen to her."

"I'm sure it'll give you closure," said Barbara, "are you planning on going tomorrow? Because I could come with you if you want." Kevin smiled a little and said, "I'd actually like that. I'll feel a little bit more secure if you're with me." Barbara smiled sweetly and said while holding Kevin's hand, "of course. We're a couple, and we stick together, even in the toughest of times." The next day, Kevin and Barbara went to the prison where Clark, Andrea, and the rest of the disgraced heroes were imprisoned, and they looked for Andrea's specific cell. It took them a couple minutes, but eventually they found Andrea's prison cell. Kevin looked at his estranged mother and awkwardly said, "hey..."

Andrea looked at her son and said, "Kevin... I was actually thinking you wouldn't want to see me again..." Barbara held Kevin's hand as he said, "yeah well, I needed time, to think..." Andrea looked at Kevin with guilt and said, "I understand why... I know it might seem too little too late to ask this, but how are you holding up?" Kevin looked at Barbara for a moment and said, "for the first few years, the only things keeping me together were Barbara and my therapist. Barbara here really helped me get through being alone. The pain doesn't hurt anymore now that I'm with her." Barbara sweetly kissed Kevin's cheek, causing him to genuinely smile a little. "I'm glad to know you were able to find love despite the circumstances," said Andrea, "I thought about what you said, when you asked me how it felt knowing that I hurt the only living relative that ever loved me... I also had time to think, Kevin. I imagined what would have happened if you had let hate consume you as it did me, and you became a cold-hearted killer like me, hell-bent on revenge. And I realized it would've been horrible, because all my efforts to have raised you to be a good person and to ensure you didn't make the same mistakes I did would have been for nothing..."

Andrea started tearing up and cried, "I just want to say that I'm sorry Kevin. I'm sorry for choosing Superman over you, I'm sorry for going back to my old ways, I shouldn't have done that, and I'm sorry for making you my enemy when you didn't deserve it. I'm sorry for hurting you... If you don't want to forgive me, I understand... I've done so many horrible things, I don't deserve your forgiveness or kindness..." Andrea cried her eyes out, feeling truly guilty for failing her son. Kevin looked at Andrea and said, "Mom... When you raised me in a Catholic upbringing, you taught me that there were many biblical figures chosen by God who started out as sinners. Longinus was a Roman soldier who stabbed Jesus, and later converted to Christianity. Saint Paul was a persecutor before he saw the light. Moses was raised by the Pharaoh and his family before he realized he was adopted and eventually fought to free the Hebrews. They all found personal redemption regardless of their faults. Jesus was friends with tax collectors and prostitutes, for he saw good in them. It's not my place to judge and dictate what should happen to you, but I know that you will have a lot to answer to God for when you meet him on the day of your judgment. But do you want to repent for your sins?" Andrea looked at Kevin with tearful eyes, realizing that he called her Mom.

"Yes... All I want is to reconcile with you Kevin... I made a mistake turning my back on you..." Andrea sniffled. Kevin placed his hand on the glass cell and said, "I don't want to be your enemy anymore. Please, take comfort and know that I forgive you, Mom." Andrea tearfully smiled and said, "thank you Kevin... I don't deserve such a good son like you..." For the next hour, Kevin and Andrea tried to catch up on what was happening, and Barbara chimed in every now and then to give a second opinion. After saying their goodbyes, Kevin and Barbara left the prison to go back to Gotham. "How do you feel after reconciling with your mom now?" Barbara asked. "I actually feel like I lifted a heavy burden off of my chest," admitted Kevin, "thank you for being there with me Barbara." He kissed her on the lips, his kiss full of love. Barbara smiled and said, "you're welcome. I'd give anything to see you happy. I love you, Kevin Grayson." Kevin smiled and said, "I love you too, Barbara Gordon. Always."

The End