4. Wizard Time

The arcane symbols, carved in blood into the undead necromancer's face, shone in the hall's dim light. A ghastly complement to his subservient ghouls' feral expressions.

"How did you get in here?" Astarion said, hinting to the women to prepare for combat. The gesture was unnecessary—they all knew what to do.

"A Dimension Door, my dear boy. This hall was designed for visitors." Balthazar pointed behind them. On the second elevated platform, two more ghouls walked out of a bright surface that appeared on a wall, followed by another figure clad in dark robes. Its face had the skin of a dried-up corpse, but the orange pupils, sitting within black eyes, revealed a sinister cunning. A second necromancer, then, and four ghouls. Waterdeep could've been useful against those odds, if he didn't enjoy vacationing inside magical traps.

"Look, Balthi, I understand if you're unhappy about our last meeting—"

"Happiness is such a mortal term." Balthazar steepled his fingers. "I was displeased with your shameful backstabbing in my office."

"It seemed wiser than letting you follow us into the Shadowfell. Well, except for facing that ugly golem."

"That ugly golem was my brother."

Astarion couldn't hold back a wicked grin. "Ah, now I see the resemblance."

"Amusing." The necromancer said, his expression flat. "Any last words before I make you into my eternal servants?"

Lae'zel and Shadowheart were ready with blades and spells, but he couldn't give up a chance for theatrics—or a surprise attack. He laid one hand on his chin and the other on his belt. "You have that annoying poison area spell, right?"

"Yes, Cloudkill."

"Can you not use it this time?"

The request brought a dark chuckle out of Balthazar. "I'm afraid it's not optional."

"In this case—eat salami!" With one fluent, decisive move, Astarion lobbed the meaty chunk at the necromancer. It sliced through the air, whirling toward its target—and got blown apart by a spectral green ray.

"I'll save you further embarrassment," the necromancer said, gesturing toward his lieutenant. "Kill them."

Everyone burst into action. Shadowheart cast Guiding Bolt, blasting off one of Balthazar's ghouls' arms. Liz charged in the same direction, Githyanki greatsword gripped low for a swiping strike. Astarion loaded a crossbow bolt for the chief necromancer's blood-scrawled face, but he acted with unnatural speed, reciting malignant words and pointing forward.

"Move!" Astarion pushed Shadowheart to safety right before a greenish cloud expanded near the pod. The lethal fog would continue moving, though. As he prepared to run, Gale shouted to him.

"Find my bag—it contains a Gust of Wind scroll!"

"There's nothing here!" He covered his face. The poison gas began stinging his skin. In addition, two ghouls were dashing toward them from the second necromancer's platform.

"The vortex that swallowed me threw my belongings around!"

"Fine, I'll look for it!" Astarion said, clenching his teeth. The toxic cloud was already burning him and one ghoul lunged at him. He dodged the swipe and sprinted away. The damned spell ignored Shadowheart and pursued him—obviously! But it also touched the ghoul. The rabid creature howled as its flesh melted, and retreated to the side.

"Serves you right," Astarion said, smirking.

Balthazar cast Ray of Sickness, hitting Liz in the chest. She groaned, hurting, but continued her assault. Shadowheart was also holding her ground, so he took a moment to look around... His perceptive eyes spotted a cloth bag, laced with fine silk, lying by the broken illithid statue's feet. It had to be Waterdeep's! He rushed there. A sharp pain cut into his side, sending him reeling to the floor. The anguish felt familiar—the other sorcerer had shot him with a necrotic ray as well.