9. Cornered

The beast's body was covered in thick, layered plates, from its bullet-shaped head and shark-like mouth to its short tail. It stood on four stumpy, muscular legs, nearly two meters tall and four meters long, carrying the mind flayer in a beefy saddle.

"A bulette," Waterdeep said, his jaw tensing up. "Ridden by an Ulitharid, it seems."

Vrakkas' face hardened with resolve. "Our quarrel can wait," he said, turning toward the new enemy. "Attack its limbs and avoid the armored head; bulettes love swallowing prey whole." The tone suggested he wasn't talking just to his squad.

The crown-wearing Ulitharid, clad in ornate red-and-gold robes, stopped its beast and studied them with loathing yellow eyes, delaying momentarily on its slain subordinate. Astarion felt his tadpole tensing up in fear.

"We should retreat, Waterdeep. We're here for Tav, not to die in someone else's war."

"Unfortunately, the compass points to that portal," the wizard said, nodding behind them. "Besides, I don't think it will simply let us depart."

Lae'zel hissed at them. "Cowardice! We must eliminate—"

A splitting headache struck Astarion. His tadpole screamed and squirmed, shrinking before the Ulitharid's psionic might. The eldritch fiend plowed through his thoughts, prying into faces and locations he'd seen, learning who had dared disrupt its plans. Then it demanded submission. The pain grew worse; his vision blurred, and a muted ringing filled his ears.

Suddenly, the mental onslaught stopped. He was on his knees, and his crossbow lay discarded a meter away. Everyone else was in a similarly compromising position, but Shadowheart was clutching her die-shaped artifact, which shone in a pulsing rhythm.

"We should run while it's still guarding us," Astarion said, spitting words through the haze.

Gale growled through gritted teeth. "Yes, I'll create a diversion—oh, no, they're not protected."

While he spoke, the Githyanki women and the two drow rose to their feet... and turned toward the party, a subdued expression on their faces. Vrakkas alone continued struggling against the mind flayer's domination, groaning and clasping his head.

"We need to hold them off," Waterdeep said while Lae'zel locked swords with her counterpart, both snarling at each other with equal ferocity. "Shadowheart, can you create water again?"

"Yes, I—" she shrieked as the drow family jumped on her. Astarion had his own problems to worry about. The Githyanki monk lunged at him with both fists. He tried blocking her, but she pummeled him with a flurry of blows, and he staggered back.

While he cursed her and her entire species, a temptation to use Raphael's imprint tugged at him. No... killing the monk would be a waste of its final charge.

His jaw took yet another ridiculously swift fist. Enraged, Astarion reached for his sword, but then a tall body pushed between them. "I'll handle her!" Vrakkas said, deflecting a punch. "Go help your friends!"

He didn't need to say that twice. Astarion picked up his crossbow and checked the situation. Lae'zel crossed blades with Lae'zel Two, both glowering with homicidal fury.

"You're helping a Ghaik, idiot!"

"No, you're helping a Ghaik, idiot!"

Mental domination could be so confusing. Meanwhile, Shadowheart tried to push back the puppeteered former slaves without hurting them. The Ulitharid gazed at them from atop his mount, chuckling in amusement.

Gale finished casting a spell, and the two drow wobbled like loose vines. Their eyes rolled back, and they dropped to the floor, fast asleep.

The wizard pointed at the mind flayer. "Now, together!"