Chapter 4

"Millicent, you can't keep her."

"And why not? She's my and Bran's daughter! She's – "

"A girl," The old woman finished bitterly, looking down at the small dark-haired bundle swaddled in her daughter's arms. "She'll never amount to anything in your husband's line of work. You two would be lucky to have her married off to a proper suitor when she's of age—"

Hazel eyes looked up at the woman, a small sniffle away from full-blown tears.

It had been a nasty shock to find out the grandchild she had been expecting was a girl. A beautiful, porcelain baby girl. But the ——— family  needed a strong heir, not a delicate flower.

"You want me to give her away," Millicent realised shakily, dragging her index finger down the baby's plump cheek. Fascination overwhelmed her when her daughter blinked up at her with wide eyes.

The woman grunted in response, looking down at the newborn. A girl would just complicate things. People would start speaking. Besides, the two can just try again for a boy.

Sighing, she sat on the edge of the bed. "My right hand will come and take care of her."

"Bran will never forgive me for this."

"Bran will never know"

"Careful, sugar," Raze cautioned, wrapping an arm around his best friend's waist.

Enya giggled and clung to him tighter. "It shouldn't be this cold, still."

"Spring's being a little late this year," he agreed, glaring down at the ice on the sidewalk as if it would melt it.

It had been a hell of a year for the male. He'd watched the underfed little girl that was his childhood friend turn into a young woman that had curves many scumbags tried finding their way around. Enya was petite and stacked and he was chagrined to admit that he'd had to chase off more than a few suitors – not that she was ever interested.

It was wrong how he felt possessive of his friend, but he didn't want anyone to come between them. Every day was spent at Raze's house with his ma and almost every morning the pair could be found at the Hob.

Enya had gotten a little taller, but Raze had shot up like a thermometer in boiling water. He was almost six feet and two inches, but not quite, definitely still some room to grow.

"Why're you being so nice to me?"

He snorted, steering her home. "I'm always nice to my best girl."

Ducking under his arm, Enya snuggled against his side, marvelling at the heat he put off. He was always warm. It was surprising. And also handy.

"Uh huh, sure." She deadpanned, causing Raze to raise a brow in her direction.

The male was tall and lean. Any sharpness on him came from picking up any extra work he could find and nearly working himself to death. His dark hair was always dishevelled somehow, trying to look good for the dames, he'd say.

"Well listen, take my bag back home with you, I've got some errands to run." He grinned that half grin of his as he passed her his bag and let go of her waist.

"I'm not your slave." Enya huffed, still taking ahold of the bag nonetheless.

"Whatever you say, Sugar. I'm off." All she got was a wave as he turned the other way and walked off.