Chapter 4: Walks

Howard, or rather 'Howie,' rolled his eyes at the raccoon's remark. The small and cold cell had a narrow bunk and a basic sanitation unit. It was a stark contrast to the dreamy nebula adventure with Aurora. The raccoon continued, "You're on thin ice, Howard. Don't forget you're here for a reason. You'll be monitored closely. Any unusual behavior, and you know the consequences." The raccoon warned, but he offered a smile of sympathy. Howard was not budging; his frown persisted.

"Do you know the rules?" Howie stood his arms crossed, his thoughts still tangled between the nebula adventure dream and his current predicament. It was clear that he was challenging Maxion. "Well... no, but Russell does! So maybe you should talk to him. He's still doing mission stuff. But trust me, if you want, I can tell him as soon as he returns, and you can talk to him." Maxion threatened smugly. "No! Please don't... I don't want to talk to him. I'll be good." Howard's fear spiked at the mention of Russell; Howie did not like Russell. "Let's go on a walk," Maxion ordered, and Howard figured he'd had no choice in the matter. And he followed behind Maxion. "What's going on?"

"Just a walk! I figured you could use some fresh air."

"The air is recirculated. Which is annoying because the air filter in my cell needs to be replaced, and your little friend refuses to help me." Howie sneered. "Oh, sorry. I'll ask him to take a look at it."

"Thank you," Howie uttered, arms still crossed. He itched at one of the shifting inhibitors on his wrists. "Does that bother you?"

"What? Ah, you mean being locked in the same shape for hours? Yeah, it 'bothers' me." Howie remarked with attitude.

"I'm sorry. You know we have to. You should've thought about that before helping Kieran kill all those people."

Howard had no response, but Maxion knew it was the truth. "When can I see my friends?"

"Not for a while."

Howard was referring to the other computer specialists on the station. Howard would never get that call from Kieran because Kieran was arrested and probably in solitary on this station; they waited two years before the Gel Squad took them prisoner. Some new law enforcement agency, or... that was too strong a term. These individuals were disorganized, but they'd done what they had to do. The takedown of the moon base was not perfect, but they'd all survived and were being held here with the other survivors. So far, all Howard got was solitary confinement. And that was all he was getting. As they strolled through the sterile, fluorescent-lit corridor of the space station, Maxion kept a watchful eye on Howard. The echoing footsteps were the only sound between them, breaking the silence of Howard's isolation. "You know, Howard, you could make this easier on yourself," Maxion remarked, trying to balance authority and casual conversation.

Howard remained silent, his gaze fixed on the cold, metallic floor beneath his feet. The weight of his actions hung in the air, and Maxion could sense his internal struggle. "You were part of a dangerous operation. The consequences were bound to catch up with you eventually," Maxion continued, hoping to break through the stoic exterior.

The station's artificial lighting flickered overhead. This section was a little more unkempt, which called for malfunctioning lighting. "I get it. You're just doing your job," Howard finally spoke, his voice laced with bitterness. "But that doesn't mean I have to like it."

Maxion sighed, recognizing the frustration in Howard's tone. "Look, Howie, it's not just about punishment. We're trying to piece together what happened. Understand the motives. Get the full picture." Howard scoffed, "The 'full picture' doesn't change what happened. I knew what I was getting into."

As they reached a small recreation area with a view of distant stars, Maxion halted. "You might think you're alone, but others care about your side of the story. Maybe, if you cooperate, things won't be as bleak as they seem." Howard glared, but a flicker of uncertainty crossed his eyes. The isolation was taking its toll, and the promise of seeing familiar faces felt like a distant hope.

"Think about it, Howie. We all make mistakes, and sometimes it's about how we deal with the aftermath that defines us." Maxion's words lingered in the sterile air as they stood on the precipice of a conversation that could change Howard's fate within the confines of the station.

"Can you at least tell me if she's safe?"

Maxion eyed Howard; they'd been on this walk many times, and every time Howard would ask the same question referring to Aurora, Maxion was the only one of his chaperones who was decent enough to give an answer. "She's safe. I promise."