Chapter 15: End

This was a dark day for the station; damage control took about 54 hours, and even Howard, the prisoner, assisted in the efforts. He was allowed to mingle with the populated levels for the first time. Tommy was taken into medical and was expected to make a full recovery... if Cam could force him to stay in sickbay, that one was restless. He seemed to want to be involved in just about everything until Cam threatened to place him into a medically induced coma. Howard was instrumental in the healing process, as mentioned before; it was his first time interacting with the other station inhabitants; he was acting as an emergency medic; his first aid training was nonexistent, but he could do basic things, like bandage wounds and stop bleeding while Cam handled more serious emergencies in medical. 

Cal was handling damage control, which was training he'd received a long time ago, and fortunately, the principles aboard this station were similar to those he used a long time ago. He made himself quite useful, especially in command. As a senior-ranking airman, he could keep a cool head and tell people what to do and how to do it. The civilians were relatively quick to learn. The result was not perfect, but a semi-functional station emerged. Some crew was assembled in the briefing room, as they'd intended the days before the incident. All of Gel-Squad was to be present, including two new members, Howard and Cal.

Russell and Maxion were coming down the hallway; they were the final two expected; they walked in silence as the news they carried wasn't worthy of a singular discussion between them. No one was expected to see Tommy coming down the hallway with Cam, as the mouse seemed to hover like a worried mother. Russell and Maxion entered smiling range as they came into earshot. "Tommy, please, go back to medical you're not strong enough!" The mouse desperately tried to change the mind of someone determined to pull his people back together. "No, this broadcast is supposed to be recorded; they need to see my face." He said not an inkling of pain was stricken on his facade, even though he was in excruciating agony, particularly in the legs. Tommy had always had a problem with doctors, his brother too... it was genetic. His brother because he was afraid to get flagged for psychiatric illness, and Tommy because he despised needles. The only reason this one was in his arm now was because he was uncautious when Cam put it in; he would've ripped it out if it weren't helping him maintain a solid form. 

"Tommy? What are you doing out of bed?" Maxion asked. Despite the seriousness, he was grinning because his friend wasn't dying like he appeared to be 54 hours ago. "Not you, too. Look." Tom flexed his arm, the needle stinging unpleasant but necessary to prove his point. "I have a bag of fluids. I'm all good." Tommy beamed weakly. He was holding onto that pole of fluids for dear life. They didn't need to know that if he let it go, his legs would give out from under, and he'd be on the floor and back in medical at Cam's mercy, and who knows what he'll wake up with inside of his body next. Russell stared. He would've hugged him if he didn't think it would be painful. "Sorry," Russell said in his blunt tone. Tommy nodded, "Buddy... I forgave you days ago. You just kept giving me the cold shoulder. Now, let's do this thing before I die at this altitude." Maxion and Russell chuckled nervously; they didn't know if he was joking... because there was a chance he would actually die, and Cam knew that because he wasn't laughing. Tommy entered the briefing room together with his friends. It was filled with a mix of relief and concern as the Gel-Squad members, old and new, witnessed their leader enter the space under his own power. The atmosphere was still tense, but the team had an undeniable sense of camaraderie.

Cam continued to fret over Tommy, trying to guide him to a seat, but Tommy stubbornly insisted on standing where Kori would stand. This was the first signal that the Chancellor was no longer... with them. The rest of Gel-Squad exchanged glances, recognizing the determination in their leader; it was contagious. "Okay, let's get this meeting started. We've been through a lot in the past few days, but we need to address the issues at hand," Tommy began, his voice firm despite the apparent strain. Cal, having joined the team recently, observed the dynamics carefully. Still finding his place in the group, Howard focused on the discussions, ready to contribute as needed, but he suspected he wouldn't be needed. His witness account was necessary, but he wouldn't enjoy fresh air for long. Russell, arms crossed, leaned against the wall, a mix of pride and worry etched on his face. Maxion, the 'scavenger,' remained silent, his eyes scanning the room; he wasn't actually using truth-sight because he knew that Tommy was among the most truthful. "Kipp, turn on the camera thing." Kipp gave a thumbs up and shuffled over to D1, who was patched into the station's computer. "I do not like being the camera." She complained, but Kipp continued to press buttons and plug things in. "Oh, it's only for a few minutes! Hold still." He finished his work and eventually got the bright red light to show up on her 'face.' She was now live to all the station's monitors, radios, and internal communications equipment.