Chapter 7

John Bates slowly walked out of the library leaning on his cane, immediately heading for the green baize doors leading down into the servants' hall, with Miss Baxter following him closely. They descended the stairs closely together while he tried to talk to his colleague, despite the narrow stairwell. He incidentally liked Miss Baxter a whole lot more than her rather nasty and bitter predecessor.

"Are you going to talk to Mr Molesley straight away? He is still down at the school, after all, isn't he?"

"Oh no, he told me he would finish early today and come to the abbey as soon as possible. It seems Mr Barber has already sent him a book that he wants to turn into his next big film project, and Joseph enjoys the bustle of the servant's hall around him while he works on that," Phyllis smiled in reply, looking rather sheepishly down at the floor beneath their feet.

It was clear to anyone with eyes in their heads that she truly was quite in love with her fiancé. She always had that subtle smile and a twinkle in her dark eyes whenever he was mentioned in a conversation, and that only intensified after his impromptu, accidentally quite public, proposal.

"That's even better then. I was thinking that maybe we could ask Anna and Mr Molesley together. It might be nice to go on a nice afternoon walk together, just the four of us. The family will not ask for any of us in the next few hours either way."

"That is a good idea, Mr Bates. I feel like I could really do with a nice walk today, seeing as I do not have to walk down to the school."

John looked at her with a slight smile on his already wrinkled face. He had to lean heavily on his cane as they further descended the stairs into the servant's hall together.

And sure enough, Joseph Molesley was already sitting at the table, a typewriter sitting in front of him as he was busily typing away on it with a smile on his otherwise concentrated face. The book Mr Barber had sent him was lying open right next to the typewriter, multiple bookmarks placed inside and sheets with handwritten notes – written by both, him and Mr Barber – were strewn all around him across the big wooden table.

Anna and Mrs Hughes had joined him at the table, both with a steaming cup of tea in front of them, trying to give him as much space at the table as they could while still getting their jobs done.

Mrs Hughes was going over some sort of list, furrowing her brows occasionally, while Anna was mending the hem on one of Lady Mary's favourite dresses.

"Anna, do you think you can accompany Miss Baxter and me on a walk and still get that dress finished for Lady Mary on time?"

Anna looked up at her husband, stopping her sewing just for a second. It was rare that her husband asked to go on walks, most certainly during their work hours, but she knew that there must be some ulterior motive if Miss Baxter was to join them.

"I am almost finished, and I would love to join you – if I can, Mrs Hughes?"

She looked questioningly at the elderly woman sitting next to her, who then looked up from the list in her hands.

"Yes, quite. Lady Mary won't need your immediate assistance, and I do not have anything else to do for you for the time being. Just please make sure to get back on time for the dressing gong. I do not particularly fancy having to defend you all from Mr Carson."

"Mr Molesley, why don't you take a break from your big project and get some fresh air on a walk with us?" John Bates asked, throwing his former colleague a warm smile as he looked at the hunched figure eagerly typing the next hit for the silver screen.

Sure enough, just a few minutes later, the four of them had left the house through the kitchen courtyard in their thick coats and started walking along the gravel paths on the estate at a leisurely pace.