thirteen

Bruce was awoken by Vance tapping his shoulder again. The first thing he saw was Vance's watch reading 2:29.

"Shoot! Man, stop letting me sleep so long!" Bruce said, abruptly standing up. "Stop falling asleep then," Vance said with a chuckle.

"Goodbye. I'm actually gone," Bruce said with a dramatic sigh. He started walking towards the sidewalk while Vance stood up and caught up to Bruce.

--

3:00am was when Bruce's mother, Nina, finally saw him coming home. He wasn't alone, either. Next to him was a boy, easily recognizable as Vance.

He was saying something to Bruce, who responded with a laugh. Nina couldn't hear them at all, but she knew he was laughing.

The two then waved goodbye before Bruce left to enter his house while Vance kept walking, presumably to his own home.

Nina heard the front door being quietly opened, then closed. Bruce entered his room where he kicked off the shoes he was wearing.

"Bruce," Nina spoke, causing Bruce to stare at where the voice came from. "Mom?" He whispered back. He closed his door and turned on his light so he could see.

"What were you thinking? I was so worried." She spoke quietly.

"Can we just talk about this tomorrow," Bruce sighed out. His mother nodded and walked out of his room, giving him a look of disappointment first.

Bruce stood there in shock for a moment. He had forgotten to worry about his parents finding out. He definitely left too early, and tomorrow he'd be in so much trouble.

He flicked off his lights and flopped down onto his bed, letting himself fall asleep before worrying too much about his mother. What would he even say in excuse to that?

The next morning Bruce was woken up to his alarm. It was his last day in suspension, so next Monday he was able to go back to his regular school routine.

Bruce got ready faster than he usually would, as he decided to walk instead of ride his bike. It was becoming too much of a hassle having to walk next to it, since he'd end up walking halfway anyways.

Arriving at school, Bruce found Vance was already sitting in the classroom, writing on a sheet of paper. Bruce takes a seat next to him.

"Hey," Vance said, without looking up from his paper.

"Hi. So uh, last night..?" Bruce spoke quietly. Vance turned his head to look at him. "Hm?" He said.

"When we kissed?" Bruce said. Vance glared at him like he was ready to brand a rainbow into his skin.

"Think you could be just a little quieter?" Vance said. "Right, sorry," Bruce whispered.

The bell then rang, and the teacher told everyone to be quiet. Bruce took a lined piece of paper from his binder and wrote something down before pushing it to Vance.

Well??
fym well
what
fuck you mean well
i dunno???????
yeah me neither. U busy after school?
yup, i've got big plans involving my mother yelling at me
what did you do ??
my mom was in my room when I got home and I guess she realized I left the house.. if you never see me again, assume the worst
HAHA
not funny, i'm gonna be in so much trouble!!
hope she doesn't mind you was out kissing a boy too

Bruce shot his head up from reading the note. He glared a Vance, who was hiding a smile behind his hand. He took the page back before scribbling something else down, then pushing it back over to Bruce.