seventeen

Bruce had come to the conclusion that it was his own fault for getting punched. What was he expecting to happen when he put his hand on Vance when he was in the middle of a fight?

Was Bruce scared of Vance? In the moment, very. Did he think Vance might hurt him again? Maybe. After hearing how Vance said he was sorry, Bruce knew he really didn't mean to punch him. Vance even stuttered.

He knows Vance won't hurt him again. He was still a little scared of him, but he wouldn't show it. Bruce was hoping that Vance would still show to his game.
•••

At two fifty-five, five minutes before Bruce's game started, he didn't see Vance anywhere in the crowds. His eyes darted across every person seated on the bleachers, and even every possible place Vance could've been standing. He wasn't there.

Bruce wasn't too sure how to feel about it. Worried? He was worried that Vance didn't show because he thought Bruce didn't want him there.

That had been the exact reason, Bruce just didn't fully know that yet.

"Bruce, come on, you're batting first!" The coach called to him. Bruce nodded before pulling his helmet on, grabbing his bat, and walking out into the baseball diamond.

Standing where he was supposed to, he took a quick look around the crowd of people before getting in his stance. The ball was thrown, Bruce swung, and he missed.

He could barely focus on the ball, he was growing upset on the fact Vance still was no where in sight.

"Strike!"

Bruce felt disappointed in himself. He pulled himself back in his stance and focused on the ball, trying his hardest not to let his gaze drift into the bleachers in hopes of seeing Vance somewhere. The ball was thrown and..

"Strike two!"

Bruce had a feeling he wasn't going to be playing his best today.

At the end of the game, Bruce's team lost by two points. He hadn't made a home run, or even past first base. Most of the game, he was benched.

"Bruce, what's up with you? You're totally off your game today," the coach, Wilbur, said to Bruce before he could leave the dugout.

"I know, I know. Just have a lot on my mind," Bruce told him with a convincing smile. Wilbur nodded and Bruce walked off.

Making his way to his parent's car, he looking towards the bleachers one last time, hoping that although he'd been staring at it the entire game, Vance would suddenly appear. He never did.

Bruce entered the car after tossing his bag in the trunk. Amy was the first to begin talking.

"Well you certainly played baseball today," Amy spoke, looking towards Bruce, who was fidgeting with his fingers.

"Shut up," he mumbled, entirely forgetting his parents will know something is wrong just from that alone.

"Bruce, are you okay? You looked spaced out that whole game," Nina mentioned, turning her head to look at Bruce.

"I'm fine, just have a lot on my mind," Bruce said, lifting his head to look at his mom.

"Such as?" She asked. Bruce lowered his head and shrugged. He couldn't tell them that he played a bad game because Vance wasn't there. It's not like he showed at any of his other games. That's different, because Vance didn't tell Bruce he'd be there for his past games.

"How about you talk to me when we get home," She spoke, turning her head forward.

"Okay," Bruce agreed.