fourteen

Nearing the grab n' go, Bruce could already see Vance standing at the pinball machine through the window.

He was in the middle of a game, and Bruce, not wanting to disturb him, opted to loitering next to the comic book stand. He picked up a few to read what they about.

Bruce soon stumbled across one that interested him, so out of impulse he decided he'd buy it.

He walked up to the counter and put down the comic. It was titled 'The Amazing Spider-Man'. Bruce had never heard of a Spider-Man, so he was interested in finding out.

"Hello! Will this be all?" The cashier asked. Bruce recognized her as the girl Vance had been talking to a few days ago. Bruce glanced down at her name-tag, reading out Rita.

"Yup," Bruce nodded. Rita named the price and Bruce handed over a few dollars.

"Alright, have a good day! Hold on, you're Vance's friend, ain't ya'? Bruce?" Rita asked before Bruce could walk away.

"Oh, yeah, I am," Bruce nodded, offering a kind smile towards her.

"Cool!" She said, then looked towards Vance before her gaze landed on Bruce once more. "Vance'd hit me if I told you this, but-"

"Then don't say anything!" Vance shouted at her. Bruce turned around to see he was still playing pinball.

"Mind your business over there," Rita called back. "You're the one talking about me- fuck! Fuck you and your dumb game, you made me loose!" Vance said, pushing his hands against the game, which didn't do anything.

"Hah, loser," Rita laughed. Vance turned towards them and walked up to the two. "Whatever, man, fuck you," Vance said to Rita. "Anyways, hey, Bruce!" Vance turned to Bruce, his tone becoming softer.

"Hi, I tried calling you but uh.. Anyways can I just hang out with you," Bruce said.

"Yeah. Things not go to good with your mom?" Vance asked, leading the way outside the store.

Bruce shook his head, "She said I could explain myself, but it ended up being all about you."

"Me? How so?" Vance asked, his concern being noticeable.

"She asked how I ended up with you walking me home and I told her what happened and also that I like you. Then she went on and on about how she doesn't want me dating you," Bruce explained whole the two leaned against the side of the grab n' go.

Vance stayed quiet for a moment before letting out a quick laugh.

"This isn't funny!" Bruce told him. "It's just a little funny," Vance responded with a smile.

"You're no help. I'm a bit upset over here," Bruce said with a sigh.

"Right, sorry then. Well, what're you going to do about it?" Vance spoke more seriously.

"I don't know?! I'm hoping when I get back home she'll just change her mind. If not, running away is always a liable option," Bruce said while sitting down, his back still leaned against the wall.

"She'll get over it. I mean, really, there's not much else to do. Don't run away though, that's not a good idea," Vance told him. Bruce tilted his head up to see Vance still standing against the wall and looking down at Bruce.

He wasn't liking how Vance seemed so unbothered about it. Bruce really was freaking out, and Vance was acting like he couldn't care less. Bruce dropped to his head so he was looking at his own knees.

"Okay, yeah. What if she doesn't just get over it?" Bruce asked.

"Realistically, what's she going to do? Tell you to stay away from me? You'll be fine. Not fine, amazing, actually," Vance said.