Autumn Embers

Amidst the fleeting leaves of fall, the pale moon shone brightly. It was full and round, casting its enchanting light across the peaks of the Ames mountains and its deep valleys.

The river east of the wild plains that founded the Vahili tribe shimmered as if it were carrying a thousand iridescent stars and wove a path of blue and ivory through the forest of evergreens. Their limbs shivered and swayed in limbo from the cold wind that kissed them. It was a silent reminder that winter would come.

Over the dark terrain, coyotes and wolves yipped and howled well into the night, singing with the chirping crickets. Not far, a great gray owl thrust its wings, leaving its perch to soar over the tribe. Their tents raised up beneath it as if to meet it like growing trees reaching to touch the sky.

The natives to the land of Sieona did not inhabit them, instead they lay speckled across the grassy plains, carrying with them torches that dripped with oil and danced to life with fire. With it, their shadows rose.

The tribesmen stood there amongst the tall grass, toned and broad. Their tan skin warm and set aglow under the flame light. Their eyes were narrowed and dark as they waited for the arrival of the tribe of Kende and would respond to any wavering sign of their chief.

Across from them, an oncoming wave of dark silhouettes slowly approached.

The other tribe had been stationed a few hills away, but traveled to the center of the plains to greet them and confirm their agreement for peace.

Both chiefs soon stood at the forefront, wearing beautiful cloaks designed by hand. Their silver hair was set in long braids adorned with bead and feather, but their hands, feet, and necks were aligned with bone. They had a great sense of wisdom and pride in their steps as they closed the distance between them. First they lowered their heads to show their mutual respect towards each other, then exchanged greetings that acknowledged their new and fateful alliance.

All of their tribespeople warily watched, silent as the wind, and ready for any breach of trust. Years of betrayal and bloodshed forced them to be overly cautious with one another. Their goal to live together in harmony seemed like an impossible dream, even now.

Could they ever form a strong enough bond to break through that? It was up to their chiefs to decide. Their move towards peace had been long overdue.

Chief Apohi of Vahili was the first to speak with humor in his voice and a light tongue that would carry no heavy words, "My daughter is stubborn. Not even wolves could drag her from her cave."

His daughter, Navati, just nineteen winters old was supposed to be there to greet the tribe of Kende, but refused. He allowed her to stay, knowing that she would not come. But her destiny would change tonight, so would their entire tribes.

It had been written in the stars. They were meant to shatter through the past that tormented them and reach for a new destiny. One that would change everything and everyone.

The Kende tribe had been a rival of theirs for far too long. Their ancestors fought, tooth and nail, over the plains that stayed divided. It had been a useless fight that resulted in more loss than gain.

Shedding blood over nature's generous hand had always been foolish and costed the lives of many. At last Chief Taok agreed to the birth of a new alliance. They'd put an end to their feud and to hold to their promise of peace, they arranged the marriage between his son and Chief Apohi's daughter.

Chief Taok gave a hearty laugh upon hearing his statement, his spirits rising and posture shifting from one of rigidity to one of relief and intrigue.

"Do not worry, my friend. My son will go to her."