Ch. 4

A shrill cry woke her.

Out of reflex, her small arms reached out for her child, feeling for his blankets with the tips of her fingers. Her nails gathered earth and then stumbled upon the familiar feel of the animal hide that swaddled her baby. She let her arm curl around him and pulled him to her chest.

Her movements were slow and mechanical as she pulled her sleeve free of her shoulder, then fed him. He quieted and her eyes remained closed. She took in a breath, smelling ash and food. She half-expected Kotve to come bearing a bowl full of it, but opened her eyes to see that she was no longer in their cave. Her eyes swarmed over the inner peak of the tent, then lowered to glance at the dead fire. The tent lay empty, but outside she could hear movement and voices singing as the women of the Lokave tribe worked.

Taopi let go of her breast and curiously turned his head to listen with her.

"The earth is warm, the sun is bright, the birds are singing and the deer are plenty, mother summer has come."

"It is good that you have come," An elder spoke, shuffling into the tent with Sacha following closely behind. Navati sat up, holding Taopi. Her hazel eyes were keen as a hawk's, observing the older woman. Her heart twisted sharply in her chest when she reminded her of great grandmother, Lakosha.

Her silver hair was in short braids that were held by emerald and brown clay beads. In her wrinkled hands, she held a cane and a small tan pouch that she gave to Sacha to hand to Navati. Navati took it and found cool water moved inside. She held it to her mouth and drank.

The elder set down her wooden cane and slowly lowered to her knees to sit. "The falcon told me you would arrive." Her squinted eyes were watchful, looking over Navati's face, then at the child babbling in her arms.

She held her hands out, asking for the child. Navati hesitated.

"A boy. He is strong. Come, let's take him to the river." The elder motioned, moving her hands fluidly as she spoke and Sacha helped her back onto her feet. Navati stood with Taopi and followed them out of the musky tent and into the noon sun. They moved in silence to the river that flowed not far from the tribe tents, giving them quick and easy access to water.

"I am called Blue Owl," The older woman greeted and pressed her pruned lips to her fingers and placed them against Navati's forehead and Taopi's to show she desired only friendship. She would take them under her wing if they chose to stay. She reopened her arms again, asking for the child.

Navati granted her request, sensing no ill intent from the woman and tracked her steps, looking on as Blue Owl unraveled her son and dipped him into the river. She let the river flow over his body and head for seconds at a time before returning him to Navati. She rewrapped him and held him, her chest growing damp from the water. "I am Navati from the tribe of Vahili. We come from the central plains."

Blue Owl smiled and nodded, "The one with strange eyes is near. When he comes, we will welcome him and ask him to share his fortune." She was pleased and Navati's spirits lifted at the mention of her mate.

"My husband comes?" She asked, a sense of urgency quickening her tongue.

"Indeed," Blue Owl waved her hand to dismiss anymore of her questions and used her cane to heave herself up the short slope and walked back to the tents. Sacha looked hopeful and rushed to tell the others. They had heard of her mate and his favor with the heavens.

They believed he would come to bring them abundance and prosperity.

But they treated Navati as if she were a wicked omen, avoiding her like the plague even though she had been his chosen mate and the mother of his firstborn. They spoke of her eyes, afraid of the fire in them, and said she did not belong there. They thought of her as one who brings ruin and tried to force her out of their tribe, but Blue Owl stood up for her, quieting them and willing her to stay.

Even Sacha had grown distant and strayed away.

Feeling isolated, Navati centered her focus and efforts on her son, helping him to take his steps and form words on his tongue. His attention was short and at times she grew frustrated. She missed her mate and home, finding her stay at Lokave to be burdensome.

Palo whose arm had met her dagger was the first to come to her when his anger simmered. He apologized and gave her buckskin and deer meat. He did not stop until he felt the weight of her eyes no longer burned and rested on him. Forgiven, he let her be and didn't bother her further.

Tewane struggled to come to her tent. The scar she left branded his cheek and had left only bitterness. But the chief's reprimands forced him to settle his pride and he would hover outside every noon, keeping anyone from disturbing her. It was his way of helping and compensating for that night he had separated her from her child.

Navati still despised him and the others, but it had grown tiresome to see him every day, so she eventually accepted his silent apology and sent him away. Then it came down to Ako, who hated her most of all. His pride would go on unscathed and he consistently belittled her.

"You are weak and more bone than woman." He'd say and like a wild horse unable to be ridden and broken in, he bucked and fought uselessly against his chief, but was forcibly corralled into asking for her forgiveness. He threw fits more often than her child.

With time he left her food and watched her hunt. Any time she would venture, he'd follow, stalking and keeping his distance. He ensured her safety and scowled at the tribeswomen when they would shun her. When Navati finally forgave him, he was allowed closer, carrying Taopi and playing with him when Navati rested.

Summer was blending into fall and the trees quivered, being freed of their leaves. A loneliness crept up within Navati and she hungered for companionship. The other tribesmen freely gave her their attention, but it did little to bring her joy. Her heart was set on her absent lover.

Had Blue Owl been wrong? Would Kotve never come? 

Ako was a fine warrior, not as handsome as Kotve, but strong and capable. He was reliable and always around, waiting for her. He had come to see her as a prospective mate, suitable for him. But she shot down his advances and clung to the thought of her mate. In truth, he wished he would not come so he could take her instead. She'd be cared for and he would not abandon her.

How could he show her this?

The other men looked at her with the same needy palates, wanting her. Her hips were wide for birthing and her breasts ripe with milk. She had soft skin and intriguing eyes. But never had she smiled.

He absentmindedly courted her, showing off his skill and abilities. He wanted her affection and approval, but she would turn a blind eye. It was not strange for a woman to have more than one mate, as was the same for a man, but she still kept to herself.

Ako could see her loneliness and sorrow and only wished to free her from it, but she would not let him.

Navati thought of autumn as a painful season. Her lover always disappeared and something unfortunate always fell upon her. Whether it was sickness, death, a storm, famine, she was always left to face chaos alone. Was she truly cursed? Was it because of the blood of her mother?

Or was it of her own doing?