Ch. 3

They pushed her forward when she stopped and didn't let up until she was standing on the smooth stone in front of their tribe. Her dark hair hung loose and wet like a curtain, freed from her braid, framing her face and though she trembled and tears mixed with rain at her eyes, she shook vehemently with anger.

Upon hearing the ruckus, many left their tents to observe and the supposed chief, himself, stepped forward out of the cave with his wife at his side.

"Explain yourself. Who is this woman?" The Chief asked, the streaks of brown upon his face falling away with the rain. His face was weathered and wrinkled, but his eyes were young and curious.

"We found her taking shelter near our borders. She is a half breed likely shunned by her clan. Her child must also be tarnished by blue-eyed blood." Ako spoke up, directing his eyes to his chief.

Navati scowled and charged forward, only to be shoved to her knees. "Give me back my child," She screamed and then begged, her eyes wild and body ready to fight again. Even if they tore her limb from limb, she'd find her son.

The chief weighed what he had been told and watched her, then with the thud of his staff, Palo came forward. But his arms were empty and Navati fell weak, her eyes red from crying. "Where is he?..Where is my baby?"

A crowd gathered now, murmuring amongst each other and watched in both curiosity and horror upon hearing her cries. But it seemed the chiefess also took pity on her and spoke to her husband. As a result, the chief waved his hand and a woman came forward with a bundle in her arms.

Navati nearly leapt onto her feet and scrambled over to take it from her and she almost sank with relief when she held the bundle and peered into it to see that her son laid warm and asleep.

Her head lowered and she sobbed, holding him close. He was her joy and everything she and Kotve had fought so hard for. If she had lost him, she'd have thrown herself off the ledge, maddened by sorrow. But he laid in her arms, quiet, and she wept over him. "Oh, agayeu," She held him and then rose to her feet, eyes narrowed and brows furrowed.

"I should curse you all for taking my only child!" She yelled with such anger, her throat ached, and the noise had echoed sharply and silenced even the rain. She burned and would not stop. Could not stop.

Ako tried to stop her with his spear again, but the chief shook his head. "She has a right to be angry. Let her scream and then feed her. She will stay until you three gain her forgiveness." Then he turned away, unable to bear the sight of the fiery spirit of the halfbreed woman. His wife followed and the tribe dispersed.

The three men stormed their separated ways, harboring only resentment and stone hearts, while the woman from before who had held her child, Sacha, ushered her gently in the direction of one of the tents.

Her hands moved around her, encouraging her, but did not touch her as if afraid she would do the same to her as she did to Tewane and Palo. But Navati was too tired to keep up her show of defiance and her wrath would have to wait until she could regain her strength.

She followed the thin woman into her tent and collapsed once she was inside, falling near to the fire with her child still clutched within her arms. Faint with exhaustion, she couldn't move her limbs any further and her eyes laid sealed shut. She cried as sleep took her and only hoped the woman took care of her child. She could not stay awake for him much longer.

When she fell into a deep slumber, she dreamed of the blue eyed men racing behind her, but in front of her stood  Kotve and her son. Though she tried to reach for them, she could never grab hold and fell behind. She could only cry out to them and heard own cries become swallowed by an unknown abyss.

-