⭑Chapter 1 - The one with the news⭑

Massa, Italy - 23rd November 2022

Grace in her natural habitat. That's what I would consider myself to be in at the moment. Sitting on my couch, which might I add is the comfiest couch I have ever put my ass on, with my knotted mega string (I don't know what it would be called) blanket which is so heavy but because it is the end of November in Italy it is a whole five degrees outside, this blanket is necessary. Playing on the TV mounted on my wall is Friends which has now become my comfort show once again just like it was when I was 15 or 16, along with a cup of tea in my hand. This is about normal after I get home from a Grand Prix, just taking some time to myself to relax before getting back to work. I got back from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix early this morning, originally I planned on flying back on Sunday night right after the end of the race, but come on it's the end of an F1 season meaning that the parties were going to be amazing, which they were. 

I had been at the Grand Prix as a part of my job, FM sends four or five of us from mixed specialties to each Grand Prix to be of assistance to the medical team on sight as we have all had more of a motorsport background and are more specialised to that. I have been to four Grand Prix in the second half of the season once I had finished uni and honestly had more fun than I think I have had my whole life, being able to be a part of a race weekend more closely whilst also gaining experience and progress towards one day being the physio and performance coach of one of the drivers, of which I have seen in little moments throughout the four race weekends I have been to. I have not only been able to do my job which doesn't even feel like a job but I have also been able to party hard and also meet all sorts of new people across teams and just those attending races. I have also been able to properly meet Angela who I have said hi to over the last few British Grand Prix. It was so cool to sit down and talk to someone who has come from a similar place to me but also someone who has greatly progressed my journey to this point and to be able to just sit, have lunch, and talk to her was simply lovely. 

I spent the night after the end of the race going out to a club I found on Instagram gossip accounts and spent my night drinking and dancing alongside team members, fans, celebs, and drivers, though I wouldn't be able to tell you who because from what little I remember I was absolutely shitfaced. These are some of the moments I live for I mean getting drunk at a club in Abu Dhabi after the end of the 2022 F1 season seems great but I also love all the little moments in between. Like having lunch with my colleagues and friends at hospitality just talking about our lives and days or right now just sitting on my couch in my small one-bedroom apartment in Massa sipping my tea and watching Friends. These are the times when I can just be with all my thoughts or without any at all,  just being myself for myself without stress and worry just relaxation, safety, and warmth. 

This moment is great but slowly my tea is getting cold and I am honestly getting a bit bored of Friends thankfully I have my current reading book next to me (November 9 by Colleen Hoover) so I turn off the Netflix to save where I am because I hate it when I lose my place in a show, movie, or book and reach over to grab my book when my phone dings. I decide to break the no-phone time to have a look at what the ding was for and I see that the notification is an Instagram one telling me that Angela Cullen has just posted. It is normal for anyone who was at the weekend priors Grand Prix to post a wee photo dump from the weekend, which reminds me that I need to get onto mine for my 50k followers which seems pathetic compared to some people I know. I put in my passcode and click on the notification at the top of the screen to bring up Instagram and Angela's new post. 

cullen_angela

---Today I'm excited to share I'm off on my next adventure

I am so grateful and blessed to have had this incredible journey in F1 and I know my story will continue.
Thanks to the MB team, who have been my family for the past 7 years.
And you GOAT !! It's been such an honour and pleasure to stand along side you I'm so proud of you and everything you have achieved.
Thank you for supporting me, believing in me and showing me the limitless potential we all have within us.
I am so excited to watch the next chapter for you. There's nothing you can't do.
Don't stop believing...
Lives journey is one big wave ,
Keep riding
Dream big
As Dreams do come true
Forever by your side
STILL WE RISE✌🏽💫🌊

WAIT, WHAT. Angela is leaving Mercedes and Lewis omg. Angela has been with Lewis for something like seven years. Seven years ago I was 14 and had just gotten into the sport at the start of the Mercedes-dominant era. I stay dead silent for a few minutes just processing the news, I mean don't get me wrong I am SO happy for Angela that she is moving on to a new chapter of her life away from Formula 1. But it's strange you know to see the person who you have looked up to as living your dream life step away from that position. But I am also a bit sad to not be able to see Ange at every race weekend I am at for work, she and Lewis always offered a sweet smile, or a quick chat depending on the day which has definitely helped to make me feel much more at home in the honestly scary F1 paddock. A place where Ange was the only female physio or performance coach which seems unreal but she has still achieved so much and to follow in her footsteps one day would be such an honor. 

That little break from the solitude of my day off has made me realise that the weather outside has seemed to improve, and sitting on a plane for hours and then plonking on the couch to watch Netflix are not the greatest combinations. I then decide I need to do something more productive. This interruption has now re-jogged my memory of all the things that I need to do like to go to the gym, being a performance coach does mean you have to practice what you preach but with the bad weather, I didn't really want to walk to the gym as my car is in the shop. But stepping out onto my balcony the weather has in fact improved, enough so that walking to the gym is now feasible. I use all my strength to pull myself from my cocoon created on the couch and walk down the short hallway to my room to open the closet doors in order to find something to wear. I eventually decide on a pair of leggings and a long-sleeved Lululemon top, with a random hoodie and the work jacket on top because although the weather has improved it is still Italy in late November. As I walk back down the hallway I grab my duffle bag, my headphones, and my shoes, putting them on. Once my drink bottle is full and everything I need is in my bag I head out the door grabbing my keys and showing them in my bag once I locked my door up, I start making my way along the 2km route to get to the gym, with music blaring and the scenes of Massa around me I am wondering to myself, 'I should have done this way sooner'

AUTHORS NOTE

As I am writing this I have noticed how small these chapters are even though they are like 1000 words long, but I have ultimately decided on short chapters of this sort of length so that I can update more often. I was also only going to publish this once I have 5 chapters done but screw it I will publish it now. I am also aware that the timeline of Angela's departure is not correct but I am changing some things to fit the story.

The next chapter should be good as we are changing perspectives and will be from a narrating POV with a place change and I hope to publish it tomorrow.

-xoxo Me

Also sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes.