CHAPTER 8

"Violet..." Ava murmured, her gaze oscillating between Ethan and Violet. Observing them together, memories of Ethan and Violet as a couple flooded her mind.

"Babe?" He called out, but Ava's attention was riveted on Violet. Ethan, following her gaze, also looked at Violet. "Sorry I'm late," he stammered, moving towards Ava.

Then Violet interrupted, exclaiming as she enveloped Ava in a hug, "Ava, it's been ages!"

Ava, rigid in Violet's embrace, clenched her fist secretly. "Violet, you're back?" Her eyes met Ethan's, detecting a flicker of guilt before he averted his gaze.

"Yep, I've returned!" Violet beamed, stepping back from the hug.

The sound of Fred's voice approached from the living room, accompanied by their friends. They all appeared startled upon seeing Violet.

"Hi everyone, I'm back!" Violet greeted, waving enthusiastically. However, the group's response was tepid, their faces etched with confusion and concern, particularly towards Ava. It was as if they all knew about Ethan and Violet's past relationship.

Amy, with a tone of displeasure, queried, "Ethan, did you pick Violet up from the airport? Why did you arrive together?" Her question echoed Ava's unspoken thoughts.

Ethan finally approached Ava, his steps heavy with reluctance. "Hi, love, sorry I'm late," he murmured, meeting her eyes. "I... uh..."

"Can't you all show a little excitement to see me?" Violet interjected, feigning disappointment. "I wanted it to be a surprise! I lost your numbers but still had Ethan's, so I asked him for a lift from the airport. I knew you'd all be here for Fred's birthday." She leaned in to peck Fred on the cheek. "Happy birthday, Fred!"

Ava noticed the others' disdainful scoffs. Violet, glancing at Ava, said, "I assumed Ethan told you, Ava. I didn't think you'd keep secrets, especially with your wedding coming up." Her smirk was thinly veiled.

A chill ran through Ava, but she masked her pain with a smile, wrapping her arms around Ethan's waist. "You should've mentioned Violet's return, Ethan. We could have prepared a proper welcome," she said, kissing him.

Ethan replied awkwardly, "I'm sorry..."

Tony intervened, easing the tension by ushering everyone back to the dining room. Ethan and Ava sat together, with Violet directly opposite them.

"As we were saying, time to sing 'Happy Birthday' to Fred and enjoy the cake," Sofia chimed in. Carlson emerged with the birthday cake.

Following the birthday song, Fred thanked Ava for the cake. "It's gorgeous," he praised.

"Of course," Ava replied, her smile hiding the turmoil within.

Laughter and stories flowed as freely as the wine, with the group reminiscing about everything from Fred's relocation to Canada to the upcoming wedding. Ava watched her friends, a content smile on her face as she cut the cake she had baked herself.

However, the mood shifted when Violet, with a hint of mischief in her smile, said, "So, Ava, did you know that Ethan and I used to date in college just right before I left for France?" Her tone was casual, but it carried an undercurrent of something more.

The room fell silent, and their friends exchanged startled glances. Violet continued, glancing at Ethan, "We dated for uh..." She paused expectantly. "How long was it again, Ethan?"

Ethan, caught off guard, stammered, "H...huh?"

Violet flicked her fingers dismissively. "Right, we dated for two years. Almost three."