(TWIST) CHAPTER FOUR

Fred pulled up to Ava's house, ready for a night of celebration after finals. Dressed in a smart ensemble that straddled the line between laid-back and put-together—a denim jacket over a crisp, white shirt, neatly tucked into black jeans, finished with sneakers ready for any adventure—the vibe was unmistakably Fred: effortlessly cool and ready for anything.

As Fred greeted Ava's parents upon entering, the air was filled with a sense of easy familiarity. "Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Greenwood," Fred greeted Ava's parents warmly as he stepped into the foyer, his voice carrying the ease of familiarity. The Greenwoods were always welcoming, treating him almost like another member of the family due to his long history with Ava. 

 Mr. Greenwood offered a friendly handshake, his demeanor relaxed but with a hint of the protective parent still present. "Fred, good to see you. Heard you all are celebrating the end of finals. Make sure you two look out for each other, okay?"

Mrs. Greenwood smiled, her tone light and welcoming. "Of course, they will. Ava's just getting her things. Why don't you wait in the living room? She'll be down in a second." 

 As Fred made his way to the living room, he could hear Ava hurrying downstairs, her excitement palpable. She appeared at the entrance to the room, dressed in a way that perfectly balanced the line between casual and chic—a skill she had mastered. Her outfit, a simple yet flattering dress paired with a denim jacket similar to Fred's, spoke of a night out filled with fun and freedom. Her hair was left loose, waves cascading over her shoulders, and her smile was infectious. 

With a quick peck on her parents' cheeks, Ava was all bubbling excitement. "See you later, Mom, Dad. Let's hit the road, Frederick; we're already late."

Her father's voice held a mix of jest and seriousness as he clapped a hand on Fred's shoulder. "I trust you, Fred. Keep Ava safe for us—no alcohol, no drugs, and let's keep it gentlemanly, alright?" 

Mrs. Greenwood gave her husband an affectionate, exasperated look, "Oh James, let's not intimidate the young man. We both know Fred has always been a gentleman with Ava." Her gaze on Fred was full of trust.

Fred offered a reassuring smile, his promise genuine. "You have my word, Mr. Greenwood. Ava's in safe hands."

Ava's laughter lightened the mood as they headed out. "Dad, you're embarrassing me," she teased, a spark of affection in her eyes.

Fred and Ava's arrival at Kennedy's bash a little past seven marked them stepping into a scene already pulsing with energy. The house was alive with the buzz of conversation, music that throbbed through the walls, and a mix of familiar faces and intriguing strangers from neighboring schools. As they weaved through the crowd, a string of greetings from fellow students warmed their entrance, propelling them toward the living room where their crew—Eric, Troy, Candace, and Vickie—had staked out a spot.

Navigating through the sea of partygoers, Fred felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to see Janet, who approached with a playful glint in her eyes. "Hey, Fred, I almost thought you wouldn't show," she teased, her voice carrying a hint of flirtation. Leaning in, she dropped her voice to a tempting whisper, "There's this cozy spot upstairs, away from all this chaos. Just the perfect place to chill and have a more... private conversation. What do you say? Just the two of us?"

Ava, who was momentarily distracted by a greeting from another classmate, turned back just in time to catch the tail end of Janet's proposition. Caught in the moment, Fred responded to Janet's invitation with his usual charm, his voice laced with a hint of mischief. "That sounds tempting, Janet," he admitted, offering a playful wink. "Maybe later," he added, leaving the door open but not committing, his flirtatious reply a part of the evening's playful atmosphere.