CHAPTER 19

In the weeks following Ethan's realization about Lily, he had thrown himself into a relentless pursuit of reconciliation with Ava. Despite her polite but distant demeanor, he remained undeterred, understanding that the years of pain and solitude she endured because of him couldn't be healed overnight. Ava, for her part, maintained a careful distance, her interactions with Ethan marked by a cautious detachment—a barrier erected to protect her still-mending heart.

The patisserie had become a battleground of emotions, with Ethan's frequent visits a constant reminder of the delicate dance they were navigating. Each time he walked through the door, Ava felt a familiar tug in her heart, a mix of old affections and the stark reminder of past hurts. She often busied herself with customers or retreated to the kitchen, her actions a silent plea for the space she needed to sort through the whirlwind of emotions Ethan's presence evoked.

At her parents' house, the dynamics were similar. Ethan's attempts to integrate himself back into the family were met with Ava's polite but firm boundaries. She would engage in conversation only when necessary, her responses measured, her smiles careful and guarded. Ethan recognized the walls she had built around herself, a fortress to safeguard the fragile peace she had found.

It was during a camping barbecue trip that the delicate balance they had maintained was put to the test. The air was filled with the scent of roasting marshmallows and the crackling of the campfire. 

As the evening chill descended upon the campsite, Ethan and Ava sat by the crackling bonfire, the glow of the flames casting a warm light on their faces. Lily had fallen asleep, her gentle breathing a quiet reminder of the new bond that had brought them all together. Ethan, his heart heavy with a mixture of hope and apprehension, draped a wool blanket over Ava's shoulders before sitting beside her.

"Thank you for agreeing to this camping trip, Ava," Ethan began, his voice soft as he carefully roasted marshmallows over the fire. "Are you having fun?"

Ava's response was straightforward, her tone neutral. "Lily wanted to come, so I really had no choice but to join as well," she said, her words unintentionally stinging Ethan.

Ethan sighed, the weight of their past and his longing to make things right pressing down on him. "Ava, I know you have every reason to keep your distance," he said earnestly, the firelight reflecting the sincerity in his eyes. "I understand the pain I've caused, and I don't expect instant forgiveness. But every moment away from you, every moment I missed with Lily, it weighs on me. I'm here to make things right, to be the father Lily deserves and the man you once believed in."

Ava remained silent, her gaze locked on the dancing flames, the light casting shadows on her conflicted face. Ethan, undeterred, continued to pour his heart out. "This camping trip, being with you and Lily, it's a stark reminder of everything I've missed. I'm not asking to reclaim my place in your heart overnight, Ava. All I'm asking for is a chance to show you, day by day, that I'm worthy of being part of your life again."

Ava's voice was quiet but firm when she finally spoke. "I came to tell you that I've decided to go back to Ketchikan with Lily. We've built a life there, and we're happy," she revealed, her words cutting through the night air.

Ethan's heart shattered at her words, his eyes a mirror of the pain and desperation he felt. "You really want to get away from me that bad, huh?" he asked, his voice a raw whisper.

In the flickering light, Ava saw the tears welling up in Ethan's eyes, the heartbreak evident in his gaze. "Please, Ava, tell me what I need to do to make you stay. I'll do anything," Ethan pleaded, his voice breaking.

Without a word, Ava watched as Ethan moved closer, sitting on the ground before her, his face a canvas of fear and longing. "I just got you back... I don't want to lose you again," he choked out, his emotions spilling over. "Please forgive me. I swear I won't ever break your heart again."