[ 𝟕 ] . . . problem solved

FORELSKET
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
cho min-ji and hong woo-jin

Min-ji found herself situated next to Gun-woo, positioned across from Hyeon-ju. Miraculously, Hyeon-ju had given in to Gun-woo's persuasion, agreeing to this anticipated collaboration. As they settled into the conversation, Hyeon-ju inquired about the source of their funds.

"Smile Capital loaned you money?" Hyeon-ju inquired, prompting Min-ji to grasp the subtle tactics that had swayed the usually unyielding woman.

"They conned our parents," Min-ji responded.

Hyeon-ju pressed further, "How big was the loan then?"

"A hundred million," Gun-woo supplied, revealing the weight of their financial predicament.

"And you paid it off with no penalties?" Hyeon-ju inquired. Min-ji took a deep breath, contemplating the term 'penalties.' Was her father's murder considered punishment? Did she deserve to watch him get stabbed, to see the light evaporate from his eyes?

"They destroyed my mom's cafe," Gun-woo replied, his gaze now fixed on Min-ji, who stared at the table rather than the two people she was conversing with.

"They murdered my father," she began, finally looking up at Hyeon-ju, who now wore a curious expression. "Their leader stabbed him, right in front of me, destroyed the store he had yet to complete." Hyeon-ju's eyes reflected a sense of sympathy, her eyebrows furrowed. The three sat in a momentary silence, allowing the short-haired woman to absorb the gravity of the situation. Silently yet understandingly, she nodded to Min-ji as an apology, earning one back from the young woman.

"They did that to your face?" she asked Gun-woo.

"Yeah, did the same to Min-ji's collarbone."

"I'm sure you're pissed. Did you go to the police?"

"No way," he began, going quiet for a moment to recall the events and gather his words. "They threatened to kill my mother if I called the police."

"Who did?"

"It was their boss," Gun-woo concluded, unravelling a dark web of entanglements. Amongst the chatter, Woo-jin's voice echoed from behind Min-ji, announcing that their food was done.

"Listen, then eat," Hyeon-ju commanded as Woo-jin placed the tray of food down and took a seat directly across from Min-ji. Now facing the duo before her, she began, "Maybe you've heard my grandpa gives out zero-interest loans to people who are down on their luck and really need them." She informed them, "but some people try to take advantage of his generosity. Yang Jae-myeong is one," Min-ji's eyes intently flickered to Woo-jin, who held her glance before Hyeon-ju spoke again.

"He borrowed ten million for his mom, then he just disappeared. It took me half a year to find him, begging at a train station. I thought Yang Jae-myeong had really become homeless, then I saw his pearly whites." Min-ji shook her head with a sigh of disbelief. How could people take advantage of others like that? Others who are actually in need.

Hyeon-ju continued her story of tailing the man, discovering that he and his "goons" were pretending to be homeless to steal IDs from the actual homeless. Providing new information, she added, "This guy was seen speaking with Yang Jae-myeong," showing them a picture of a man dressed in a suit and tie, thin glasses around his eyes. "Know him?" Min-ji shook her head, moving her gaze to Gun-woo, who confirmed that he indeed knew this man.