Episode 1: What Is Equality? What Is Freedom?

[Episode 1: What Is Equality? What Is Freedom?]

[Scene 1: What Is Equality?]

I know this is kind of sudden, but, please, it will only take a moment. I want your honest opinion.

"Huh...?"

"Wait! This is—"

A few surprised gasps escaped the lips of the Second Year Students who were the most familiar with this voice.

"What's going on?"

"Ah isn't this when I was riding the bus to the school after the entrance exam?" A student spoke out in confusion, his voice laced with realisation.

He was one of the many people seated on the bus.

Confused murmurs resounded throughout the hall as the voice of a certain male student was heard from the screen. 

The screen showed the scene of a brown-haired boy with a dull expression sitting in the bus staring outside of the window with a blank look.

"Ayanokouji!"

"Ayanokouj-kun!"

"Kiyotaka-kun..." Hirata muttered with befuddlement.

What the hell was going on?

"Hey! It's Kiyopon!" Haruka shouted in apparent excitement seeing her friend while Airi looked at the screen intently.

Keisei and Akito looked at each other questioning what was going on. 

"What the..." Horikita muttered in surprise. She was also there on the bus and thus knew that the scene in front of her wasn't something made up.

But the chaos of questions in her mind was stopping her brain from functioning.

Why was Ayanokouji being shown on the screen and were those words...

... his thoughts?

Are people equal or not?

"Hmph," Nagumo who was lost in his thoughts hearing this snorted, "What a foolish question."

"Miyabi!" Asahina chided him.

Due to Ayanokouji's action quite a few third-years were expelled.

A proper society will constantly strive for equality. There are those who clamour for men and women to always be considered equal.

As a result, we raised the employment rate for women, we made specialized subway cars only for women. Sometimes, women will even argue over the order of names in a family register.

The public opinion of people with disabilities has also changed. We’re now told that we should not use the term “disabled people” when referring to them, so as not to discriminate.

Nowadays, children are taught that all people are created equal. But is that true? I have my doubts. If men and women have different abilities, then their roles should also differ.

People with disabilities are still disabled, no matter what polite euphemisms you use.

No matter how you try to avert your eyes, the meaning of the word does not change.

So, my answer would be, “No, we are not equal.”

To be human is to be unequal.

Equality does not exist. Long ago, in a bygone era, a great man said that heaven does not set one man above or below any other.