Scene 2: What Is Freedom?

[Scene 2 Beginning In 5 Minutes]

The theatre lights were turned on again as the seemingly magical screen turned quiet.

The hall was bustling with chatter as students conversed with each other.

In the magnificent theatre, the buzz of excitement filled the air as hundreds of students settled into their plush seats.

The warm glow of chandeliers overhead reflected in the eyes of students, revealing a mix of confusion.

It was as though they were finally able to push the button in their brains and question what was happening.

Hearing a student's thoughts?

If someone were to come up to you and said that without any context you would typically retort with, "Are you okay?" 

Wasn't it just absurd on a deeper level?

But worries and anxieties about the future were still blurry, for now, every single student in the hall was from the Advanced Nurturing High School.

Graduate from Class A— Wish of 99% of students.

And since this particular peculiar event was labelled as a 'Special Exam' they would give it their attention.

As for whether Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's privacy was being breached... Even if they said that he agreed many were still skeptical, but then again who's supposed to go against the government?

In the end, not many cared.

After all—

It was not like it was their thoughts that were being revealed, right?

...

[Scene 2: What Is Freedom?] 

The light in the hall dimmed slowly, likely dying embers. The original bustling theatre turned silent once again as the large screen lit up with a string of bold words.

Horikita looked at the title of the scene and the thoughts in her mind swirled. It still made her heart uncomfortable that Ayanokouji had agreed to this.

Was he truly fine with this?

As one of the smarter people present she had her doubts about whether Ayanokouji had truly agreed to this.

It also didn't help that he wasn't here. The bitter realisation that she had grown dependent on him was disheartening but it wasn't a bad feeling...

... To have someone to rely on.

Around 1 pm, I made my way back to the dormitory, my home from that day onward. At the reception desk, I received a keycard for Room 401 and a handbook containing information about the dorm’s rules and then boarded the elevator.

I quickly flipped through the handbook, which only detailed the most basic things that we needed for our daily routines.

The dates and times for garbage disposal were listed, as well as a notice about avoiding excessive noise. I also saw notes about not wasting water or electricity, and so on.

“So, they don’t place restrictions on electricity or gas usage?” I’d assumed that the school would deduct the cost from our points.

This school really went to great lengths to have a perfect system for its students. However, I was a little surprised that they’d implemented co-ed dormitories. After all, this was a high school, so the rules stated that unsuitable romantic relationships were frowned upon. In short, sex was strictly forbidden… obviously. I mean, a member of the clergy wouldn’t say that engaging in illicit sexual activity was okay.