Chapter 7

3 YEARS LATER

it's been a few years since I've told my family what happened to me, that caused my change. Since then my family have supported and guided me to become a strong woman . Me and fin became a peaky at 18 and was given our first gun at 19. Obviously, to polly's dismay it took some time to use it, but during this time I was Tommy's right hand. I went every where and any where with him, he trusted me and I trusted him. I was never kept out of family business. In fact, I think I rank with Tommy(don't tel him that tho). I've been to business meetings, gun outs, races. I've been everywhere, even sometimes on his behalf. After what they did to jack and his family, we've become more respectable and feared. People now know to defo not fuck with the Shelby family. Obviously we get the odd men who say stuff about a woman walking around in trousers and a waistcoat but I don't care. But since then I've been involved in more fights than I like to admit and people are equally fearful of me. It's like I'm equal to my brothers.

Within these years, we became a legitimate bookies, stole and hid guns and successfully killed Billy Kimber. With this, we grew and grew and grew. We became a respectable class citizen and are now flying the high life. But throughout this victory we have made enemies but who knew that one certain enemy, would be my future.

It was mine and fins 20th birthday and we were all sat in the garrisons drinking our lives away.

I think throughout these years we've all changed. John got engaged and married our beloved Esme. Which make us kin with the  lees. Esme is a wonderful, caring and thoughtful person. Even though, some may think she just "johns wife" I believe her to be family and a sister figure when I don't see ada.
Ada married Freddie Thorne and had his baby. She gave birth to Carl who looks just like his father. At first ada struggled letting us in after the fact that Freddie was dragged from his wife's arm on the night of his son's birth- which everyone believed was Tommy. Then, after Freddie died,  she eventually let us in and then she moved to London, "to do the impossible". Whatever that meant.
Arthur really struggled with his mental health but I think he's getting back on track because he's stopped drinking as much. He's become very focused on the business and the development of it and idolises Thomas. Bless his heart.
Polly was reunited with her son Micheal, who seems okay but very shy. But who wouldn't? Have to change his complete lifestyle. But I think he is where he belongs. When I turned 18 he was only a year older so we became quite close and I would fill him in on everything, as polly wants to keep him away from the  dangerous side of the business. Which I think annoys him but he just doesn't say anything. Polly became more happier and joyful than normal. She and Micheal moved into a lovely home, in a quiet village. Which Polly loved.
Fin has become more mature but still has his moments. He's being seeing a girl called Lila, which he doesn't think I know about. Shes a quiet, shy girl with a respectable family. She seems nice, not really spoken to her. But she makes fin happy, so that's all that matters. Sometime I catch him climbing out of his window to go see her, which makes me laugh cause he does normally fall when he see me watching at his fail attempt of sneaking out. But he knows I won't tell Tommy so it's okay. Isiah and him get into heaps of trouble and it's normally me or Tommy dragging him out of it but he don't care.
Finally, Tommy. Tommy has become more open since he's met the pretty barmaid, grace. She makes him happy, more happy than before the war. I like seeing this side of Tommy, makes him more human in ways. But eventually we discovered she was a mole and giving information to the prick Campbell. Tommy doesn't think I know that he takes secret trips to London every now and then to see her. But it keeps him happy.

Life is calm. For now.

As we sit drinking our probably 100th drink. We reminisce on the old times.

"Ay Arthur! Do you remember when we used to to kick young Micheal down the road in a shoe box"

This Peaked all our attention on the 2 men as they explain the doings they did when they were young.

"Ah ha! Yes John boy I do! Oh what a time!"

Arthur laughed joyfully and glancing at Michael's  white face. Which made us all laugh more.

I really enjoy occasions like this. Me and my family, in a place we call home. Enjoying each other's company over a bottle of rum.

"Easy on Arthur"

I said as I pulled my cigarettes from my pocket.

"Don't want to scare the young man away!"

"Young man! Don't make me fucking laugh"

This made everyone go into a laughing fit, which wasn't a few glances from the pub men outside. But we didn't care we was loving life.

But nothing lasts forever.