iv. The Torture Of Dishwashing

chapter four — the torture of dishwashing

season one, episode two — new life's eve

IT SEEMS TRACY HAS NOT LOST HER SHIT AND RUN AWAY FROM THE DUMPING GROUND — YET . Although, Iris observes, she does seem very close to the former, judging by the way she stormed into the kitchen looking like Sapphire when Iris accidentally broke her hairdryer ( in a word, murderous ). The reason is still a mystery, however, as she starts clearing away dishes without a word ( albeit with lots of slamming ).  

Iris pulls her hair into a bun at the top of her head, securing it with a dark green scrunchie. She rolls up the sleeves of her tie-dye shirt and stares at the disgusting grey water swirling in the depths of the sink as the other kids dump their dirty plates into it. Sure enough, that little stunt she pulled at lunch earned her one of the most acute forms of torture this godforsaken world has to offer: washing-up duty.

She sighs and mentally prays that dishwater doesn't splash onto the oversized David Bowie t-shirt she layered over her long-sleeved tie-dye one. Why she ever bothers wearing good outfits in this house, she doesn't know ( but the fit is definitely slaying today! ).

She takes a deep breath, steeling herself for the gross task ahead, when she hears Johnny snap at Tracy. "It doesn't go in there! It goes in the compost bin!

Iris rolls her eyes. God, this kid and his rules! ( seriously, the guy has, like, a kink or something ) She watches from the corner of her eye as he marches over to Tracy and tries to yank the plate she was scraping into the ( apparently wrong? ) bin out of her hands. 

"Johnny, what are you doing?! Get off!" the care worker yells, and Iris, sensing a fiasco brewing, turns around and leans against the sink to watch with her arms folded ( anything to procrastinate doing dishes! ). She stifles a snort at the sight of Tracy and Johnny in a tug-of-war with the plate.