Volume II - Chapter III

At Javier's house:
2:19 PM:

While I was eating some tortillas with Marco near the stand, I spotted a girl that looked a lot like Marco's older sister, Carlotta. When she turned around, flipping her brown hair off her shoulder, I was able to identify her.

I remember sometimes when I used to come over to Marco's when I thought no one was home, she used to answer and at first it was slightly awkward. Afterwards, we greeted each other often, talked a bit and now we're acquainted.

One thing I liked about her is that, unlike Marco's little sister, Rosalina, she didn't need to get bribed to shut her up about my presence.

I hope she doesn't know her little brother's my ex now; she really liked me.

Carlotta: Oh hey Mika!

She walked up to me with a smile and she kissed my cheeks to greet me. I smiled at her and uncrossed my arms.

Me: How are you?

Carlotta: Oh I'm good- Marco I didn't think you'd come.

Marco: What? Why?

Carlotta: Because you were tired and depressed for a bit.

I looked up at him and I realized her might've been feeling that way because of the break up.

Me: Wait what? Are you okay? Do you want a hug?

Marco: It's nothing don't worry. I'll be back.

He walks away and I feel surrounded by strangers, except for Carlotta, I kind of know her.

Carlotta: What a weirdo, am I right? Let's go do something more fun!

She takes my hand and leads me to her cousins.

Carlotta: Mika, this is Paola and Valentina.

Paola: Hi!

Valentina: Oh she looks adorable!

Me: Umm... Thanks!

They then started talking and I felt very left out. It's true that they tried to talk to me once in a while but I didn't feel included. Paola always made sure to say things only the three of them would relate to.

She was the ugliest of the group. She had short brown hair, braces and glasses while Valentina had coily black hair and a radiant smile.

Me: I'll be back!

They didn't even pay attention to me when I left off to the stairs. I didn't know where I was going but I knew I wanted some time alone.

To my surprise, I saw Marco on call with someone. When he saw me, he immediately hung up.

Marco: I'll call you back later-

I walked up to him and pinned him to the wall, angry.

Me: Who was it?

Marco: Why are you asking? Are you jealous?

He smiled at me playfully and it made it a bit hard for me to keep frowning at him.

Me: No- just tell me who it was-

Marco: Last time I checked we weren't a couple anymore.

I let him go and felt ashamed, crossing my arms.

Me: Sorry. It's true, you don't owe me any explanations. I'm sorry.

It was quiet for a bit and I just felt my heart pound in my chest, my head throb in pain and tension.

We looked at each other with sad expressions. Is this really what I wanted it to be like?

Marco: I was on call with Lewis...