So Can We Crash Here? - VII

After school Bruce wandered into the library, hoping to find something to do before having to go back home. Some parent on his baseball team saw him walking to the bus stop and had called his parents, so he got grounded again. He parents were now super mad at him, and always had Amy babysitting him when they were away. It really bugged him.

But his moods were lifted at the unfamiliar sight of a certain blond he favoured. "Whatcha' doin'?" Bruce asked in a whisper as he sat across from Vance, who had a struggled look on his face.

"Homework," Vance sighed deeply with annoyance, "English homework. I'm so bad at English class, god. It's stupid we even have to take it for this long."

Bruce just laughed, grabbing the papers from in front of Vance. "This..is easy, Vance," Bruce said, glancing up at Vance's unamused face. "Here..why don't I teach you it." He offered.

Vance sighed, nodding. "Fine, but let's not do it here. I hate libraries," he said, standing and grabbing his stuff, stuffing his homework into his backpack. He looked to Bruce, who followed his actions. "Your place?"

"I'm grounded, plus, my parents are already home," Bruce sighed, shaking his head, "but we could try Robin's uncle's place. Robin and Finney are at Finney's anyways, so you don't have to worry about him being there."

Vance stared at Bruce, taking a moment to process what he had said. He bit his cheek, iffy on that suggestion, but he thought Robin's uncle seemed nice enough. "Err..fine," he hesitated, "but as long as Robin doesn't barge in."

Bruce smiled, "he won't."

Vance gave Bruce a half smile as they walked out of the library together. Surprisingly, the walk to Robin's place wasn't as far as Vance had originally thought, but then again, the whole time he and Bruce walked he was distracted. Bruce seemed different today. He didn't look different, nor did he act different at all, but Vance couldn't put his finger on it. His hair looked as soft as it normally did, and his eyes looked as happy as always.

That made Vance's face feel warm, his chest tingle, and his lips form into a smile. He didn't know what that feeling was, but he liked it. The only way he could describe it was how he feels when he beats his super high score on pinball. He really liked that feeling.

Bruce glanced at Vance, just seeing him staring at him. It kinda spooked him, giving him that feeling in his chest. Creak..creak.. "we're here," Bruce said, snapping Vance from his trance. Vance nodded and watched as Bruce knocked on the door.

Crash! Bang! "Coming!" Vance heard a man's voice call out from the inside of the house. He could recognize it pretty well and he moved slightly behind Bruce, but before Bruce could ask anything the door opened. "Hey, Bruce! Need something?" The man asked, seemingly not even noticing Vance.

Bruce smiled softly, "I'm helping out Vance with English." He glanced back at Vance, giving him a small smile. Vance felt his face warm up and he smiled back. "We were wondering if we could do it here? I really don't want to go home yet."

Mr.Arellano looked at Vance, hesitating for a moment. He had heard the stories about Vance's many arrests, and Vance's violent fights. And he knew how much Robin hated him, but he also was aware that Robin wouldn't be there at all. "Okay," he said, giving a small smile, stepping back.

The two boys walked in, and Bruce led Vance to the kitchen. Vance was mesmerised by the house. It was small, old, cheap, just like his, but it didn't hold pain or bad memories. It smelled nice too. Like a nice soup boiling. "Vance," Bruce snapped his fingers in front of Vance's face.

"What?" Vance replied defensively, not wanting Bruce to get worried for him or something like that.

"I know you aren't on the best terms with Robin, but you need to pay attention," Bruce huffed, sitting his stuff next to a stool at the kitchen island.